FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Rymah
I've just bought my 1st VFT i got it from a green house where he grows them from seed's
the traps are smaller then a penny opened, i have two questions

1, non of the traps are open, they have not cought any bugs why arent they opening?
2. at a guess how old do u think the plant is? i was thinking 2-3 years, but im new.
By lemonlily
Welcome to FlyTrapCare!

I think they don't open because it is still very young. The other reason is that a trap can only open a few times before it doesn't move anymore but I doubt it is the problem with yours.

For the other question, I have no idea... I'm also quite new on growing Dionaea.
By Matt
Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the forum!

There could be numerous reasons that the traps are closed. Usually the get accidentally tripped when the plant is moved from one place to another. That's probably what happened.

2-3 years old is a good guess. It could be older though. They are pretty slow growers. I have plants now that are 1 year old from seed and the entire plant is about the size of a penny or smaller.
By italo.americano
Rymah,

Welcome to flytrapcare!

My guess is that since the plants have been transplanted, the roots are in shock. One thing about Dionaea is that they do not take well to transplanting.
They may reopen or they may not. I would not worry about the traps not reopening. As long as you have new growth, you will be okay.
I hope this helps!

Giovanni
By Aging_Bourbon
there are many reasons why this could be happening well, it could be that the plant is young to open traps another reason is that it don't have enough energy or its going dormant. just keep giving it bight light or sun light. water with with distilled water
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!