FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By roarke
[/quote]

Thank you! Yep, it was actually pretty easy to do too. It should be a great spot. Once I get the trees thinned out again it will get full sun all day. Thanks, it is disappointing, but the plants will bounce back :).[/quote]

Nice photoes.
Last edited by roarke on Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By roarke
Thank you! Yep, it was actually pretty easy to do too. It should be a great spot. Once I get the trees thinned out again it will get full sun all day. Thanks, it is disappointing, but the plants will bounce back :).
What camera do you use for photo ?[/quote]
By ironjaws
Wow, that looks great! And not having to water multiple trays/communal pots is genius!

I've got some "earth-box style" 5 gallon buckets that I've used for my flytraps and sarracenia this year. My sarracenias love them! However, I've had complications this entire grow season with my flytraps(I've lost four :cry: ).

Anyway, if I could pick your brain; does the water constantly run onto the water table and back into your stock tank? If so, have you found it necessary for the water to absolutely be at 0 tds?
By chevyguy8893
ironjaws wrote:Wow, that looks great! And not having to water multiple trays/communal pots is genius!

I've got some "earth-box style" 5 gallon buckets that I've used for my flytraps and sarracenia this year. My sarracenias love them! However, I've had complications this entire grow season with my flytraps(I've lost four :cry: ).

Anyway, if I could pick your brain; does the water constantly run onto the water table and back into your stock tank? If so, have you found it necessary for the water to absolutely be at 0 tds?
Thanks, ironjaws! It has been great, especially when the temperatures are consistently over 90 during the day and the rain ceased.

That sounds interesting, I like the concept of the earthbox. Do you have any pictures of the 5 gallon buckets? Sorry to hear about the lost flytraps. I always hate losing plants.

It does cycle the water constantly. I have not found any need to keep the water at 0 ppm for the TDS for this table, or any of my indoor plants. As of today it was at 34 ppm for the TDS, which has been staying relatively stable. Since birds get into the table, my dog drinks from the stock tank, etc., I was expecting the TDS to climb some. As a precaution, and because I am interested in finding out what they are, I do have some associate bog plants in there that can uptake nutrients at a higher amount to help minimize their accumulation in a closed system.
chevyguy8893 liked this
By ironjaws
Interesting. I'll have to look into associate bog plants and do my homework before diving in.

I don't why I have no pics of my earth-style buckets... I always take pics! My sarracenia LOVE them; I've got a S. leuco cross, an oreophila, a hummers hammer head(if I recall correctly) and some unknown pitchers from Lowes, a catsbei, HCW from FTS, and a Flava red throat or cut throat(I don't remember). They love them!

Some of my flytraps are doing great in them, though. I'll take some pics of them and post them here for ya', I've just been really busy lately.
By ironjaws
roarke- Hey, that's a great question!

chevyguy8893- Did you use poly/weather seal on the table? Here are some pics of my "earth-box style" buckets.

These are a couple with flytraps.
20150903_193644.jpg
20150903_193644.jpg (604.04 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
Don't know why it's on its side, but the one on the left is the one I lost a Coquillage and (more recently) a FTS Maroon Monster.

Here is one with a S. leuco hybrid Citronelli and some death cube saves.
20150903_193810.jpg
20150903_193810.jpg (506.96 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
And an oreophila, S. jonesii red.
20150904_082725.jpg
20150904_082725.jpg (445.6 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
Hmm, all the pics are on their sides... Anyhow, I'm going to make a couple more of these buckets for my sarracenia sometime toward the end of this coming dormancy. I'll post pics or maybe even a video of how I build one. I learned about them on the forums here so I can't take credit for the genius idea.

Another question for ya'... have you had to deal with any algae?
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!