FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By JMH
I've read that peltiers are not that good for tanks and that's a shame because it seemed promising.

I also rely on ice cubes and bottles for my HL night drop and it actually works. I'm getting about 13-15 Celsius all night with them.
By KissMegan
JMH wrote:I've read that peltiers are not that good for tanks and that's a shame because it seemed promising.

I also rely on ice cubes and bottles for my HL night drop and it actually works. I'm getting about 13-15 Celsius all night with them.
Shame indeed. I was really hopeful. Ice is AMAZING for temp drops. I honestly didn't think it would work but a friend of mine did it so I decided to try it haha
By earlgrey
I was curious about yours because I actually made one and it works! I don't use a tank though, but I did make a box as well! Haha, it's inspired by Jeremiah harris. It's made with 2 3ft wire shelving units put together with foam boards on the sides and a plastic drop for the front. I use my peltier unit to cool it. With my lighting, it can easily get to mid 90s F, but with my cooler it keeps the temps down from the high 70s F to maybe 82 F when its a really hot day. At nights it can get down to the low 60s, but it is summer and it's only been getting to 65.

Peltier units can work, but it all depends on the build and the parts you use. Moreover, if you can't cool the hot side enough, then it'll warm up your cool side and it won't be as cold as you want. I'd rather explain this on a different topic though since this isn't mine lol
By KissMegan
Hmmm maybe it's because yours is more insulated too. I heard insulation plays a big part in how effective they are. Oh well :( ice will have to do for now
By eithan0693
If you install the Peltier into the wall and have the hot side outside of the box, and the cool side pointed in then it would cool just the inside while leaving the heat outside the box I would think
By KissMegan
eithan0693 wrote:If you install the Peltier into the wall and have the hot side outside of the box, and the cool side pointed in then it would cool just the inside while leaving the heat outside the box I would think
I'd have to cut a big square hole in the acrylic to do that haha so I don't think I'll try that just yet. Its a good idea though. I'm gonna keep researching cooling systems.
By eithan0693
Or in the wood at the top, as heat rises cold air falls so that would be the best place for it but yea that would be how I was talking about.
I hope you find something awesome and share. I use my a/c to cool my room.. so something more efficient would be swell.
By earlgrey
How's the kessil light working out for you?
By KissMegan
eithan0693 wrote:Or in the wood at the top, as heat rises cold air falls so that would be the best place for it but yea that would be how I was talking about.
I hope you find something awesome and share. I use my a/c to cool my room.. so something more efficient would be swell.
Very very good point. I may give that a try using a cardboard box first
By hackerberry
earlgrey wrote:How's the kessil light working out for you?
Very nice build. I am wondering the same about the Kessil. I only use the ones for my Reef tank.

hb

I can vouch for this statement. Trader Joe's had a[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!