FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By nimbulan
hebtwo wrote:Day 25 - July 2, 2015

Things are progressing nicely, seems like more seeds showing signs of germination each day. Maybe 10-15 now in total. Here's a few shots from today (these are focus-stacked to increase depth of field, but a bit harsh as a result).
I got a reverse adapter recently as well and have found most pictures taken with it to be harsh, even without focus stacking which I have not tried. The seeds are looking great!
By hebtwo
nimbulan wrote:
I got a reverse adapter recently as well and have found most pictures taken with it to be harsh, even without focus stacking which I have not tried. The seeds are looking great!
I've found so far that reversing the lens definitely makes shot selection and setup a lot more challenging, especially with the lens disconnected from the electronics. Luckily with Canon lenses, when disconnected the aperture is left wide open (apparently this isn't the case on other brands of lens).

I'm taking these photos in BRIGHT direct sunlight with a very high shutter speed (between 600-800). Even still, I notice the highlights (especially when stacked) get really hard. But on the flip side, it's not a $300 macro lens, so I'm okay with it :D
By tish
nimbulan wrote:
hebtwo wrote:Day 25 - July 2, 2015

Things are progressing nicely, seems like more seeds showing signs of germination each day. Maybe 10-15 now in total. Here's a few shots from today (these are focus-stacked to increase depth of field, but a bit harsh as a result).
If you are using flash unit. U need a flash diffuser. Custom make 1 . Easily with milk bottle

Sent from my SM-N9005
By hebtwo
Day 30 - July 7, 2015

Some fun updates, good growth on the germinated seeds. Probably still sitting around 10-15 seeds showing growth.

The cotyledon have started popping out of the seeds on a few of the babies and one of my seeds even has 3 cotyledon. Weird!

A few of the seedlings have started growing their first carnivorous leaves. That's my first big milestone, so it's exciting times in the germination tray!

Some of the babylings are a VERY dark green colour and one almost looks red. It's hard to say if they're just rotting/dying or growing in that color. They're still pretty small though, time will tell.

Some pics from today:

hebtwo, hebtwo liked this
By hebtwo
Day 38 - July 15, 2015

A few of the seedlings have sort of withered and died after germination, but at least 10 are growing carnivorous leaves and another 8-10 are still growing cotyledon.

There are about 4 seedlings growing VERY red traps which is exciting!

A few pics from this morning:

hebtwo liked this
By hebtwo
Day 41 - July 18, 2015

I've got around 10 traps growing carnivorous leaves and It's really cool to see the different characteristics of each seedling even at such a young age.

Some seedlings are growing smaller traps, some big. The colours are quite varied from green to green/red to deep red. Some seedlings are growing multiple traps, while others seem to focus on one larger trap. Starting to see Cilia forming on the most mature traps (maybe 3-5 with cilia atm).

Approximately 20-25 successfully germinated seeds at present (in various stages from Cotyledon sprout to full carnivorous growth). I've probably thrown away 10 seeds due to mold, and I'd estimate about 20 seeds that have still not germinated.

Very pleased with the results so far. We've been having very sunny days and the seedlings spend about 9-10 hours in direct sunlight outside and they're responding very well.

I keep them in a water tray and mist the sphagnum surface often throughout the day.

I knew it would be a long haul to grow flytrap's from seed, but like everyone before me has said: it's a very rewarding and fascinating thing to do and I'm glad I made the decision to buy seeds instead of plants.

A couple pictures from this morning:

hebtwo liked this
By hebtwo
Ishaha wrote:What does the seed turn into
I always assumed (falsely it seems) that the actual seed husk would have fallen off of the cotyledon by now ( a few of the seedlings have done this, most still have the seed stuck on one leaf tip).

On a few of my seedlings, the starter leaves still have both of their tips in the seed shell even while carnivorous leaves squeeze out between them.

Eventually the starter leaves will die off and the seed husk will go with them.
By Ishaha
Matt wrote:
Ishaha wrote:What does the seed turn into
A seedling ;)
Face palmXD I meant the seed at the end of the seedlings, should have worded it better

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!