FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
It's normal for plants to stall even if the flower stalk is cut. But they will resume growth much more quickly and vigorously than plants whose flower stalks have been allowed to mature.

And yes, experiences may vary a bit, but I'm basing my assertion on the fact that I've been watching flytraps for nearly 10 years now, and thousands of them at that, and there really isn't even a discussion to be had about whether or not allowing flower stalks to mature makes an impact on trap size and overall vigor of the plant. It absolutely does!
By JPowell490
I don't believe we were having that discussion. A person was simply asking an opinion, multiple people gave the person theirs. The person should take it for what it is worth.

Obviously they are doing something right, the plant looks good.

Sent using my Galaxy S6 edge
By cadorn
THANK YOU to everyone for a great discussion that was informative and helpful as well! I should change the wording in my original post slightly - the pot is in "full" sun, but not continuously bright since there are tall trees nearby. So it gets sun all day, but not the beating-down cactus-loving type of sun. To lower the humidity, I would have to bring them into the house, sad to say. But given flytraps are from North Carolina (aren't they?) the conditions here in central Virginia remind me a lot of when I lived in NC (A/C mandatory in both areas, unless you thrive in hot-humid.) But the fact that they can be happy in less humidity gives me hope for my nephew, who is trying to care for his first Flytrap in western Washington State. Yes, there is rain, but no high humidity. Only recently did the temperatures reach 80 in the summer, and only recently were A/C units needed. [Sigh]

There are only two bloom-stalks. I think I will compromise and cut one off, and see with the other what flytrap flowers look like! THANKS AGAIN!
Connie
By Matt
cadorn wrote:There are only two bloom-stalks. I think I will compromise and cut one off, and see with the other what flytrap flowers look like! THANKS AGAIN!
That's a good decision. The plant is well cared for and is growing well, so there isn't a huge concern about losing the plant, just getting it to grow better. The flower stalks are already fairly large, so the plant has put a lot of resources into making them. Cutting off the smaller one would alleviate some of the stress put on the plant.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!