FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Shanna1115
Hey all. So I have 3 tropical highland nepenthes and 2 Venus fly traps. I want to set up my indoor grow area but I'm so confused with what lighting would be best for them. I don't really get the T5 to T12, led .... Even tho I been doing some crazy reading about lighting indoors. Any help would be great. Tho I'm not trying to spend 100s here lol. Thanks yall
By KissMegan
Unfortunately good light setups are going to cost you into the hundreds :( you could get a T5-HO with a mix of 3500 and 6000K bulbs or do what I just bought! The Kessil H150 purple LED. Both are good :) (but the LED looks way cooler, and "JPowell" will explain a million reasons why it's the best)
KissMegan liked this
By JPowell490
Maybe a million and one [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES], anyway we can help Shanna just ask. KissMegan has some great suggestions above.

Sent using my Galaxy S6 edge
By Dematerialize
It's not just purple lights, there's a multitude of LED diodes with different wavelengths, most focused in the sweet spots plants like, some also have infrared and UV light
By JPowell490
Shanna, certain LED'S are perfect for our plants, but they are a bit pricey. The setup that KissMegan described to you is the most economical way to go.

Now, for around 97.00, you can have the very best LED on the market.

By JPowell490
Yes I have the PAR output on the kessil , but you cannot go by straight PAR on LED's as they do not register as MH or HPS.

You would have far more time involved building something like that. I don't think people actually think that aspect through. Building LED'S is time intensive job for sure. The digikey leds wouldn't give you what you are looking for.

Am I pro Kessil? For sure, just because I have tried every single led on the market, every one. They are the best for growth, return on investment, etc.

Naoki, on an H380 at 90 watts, you are looking at around 1500 par at 15 inches I believe.

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!