FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Fangore
Hi everyone! My names Becca and I'm new to the community and wanted to introduce myself. I live in south GA and have multiple VFT plants and some pitcher plants as well. I love my babies and am looking to repot them to give them a bigger better home and have run into a few walls. I bought them last year at lowes and it came with the potting mix and sphagnum in the kit. They have flourished and then made it through their dormancy and now are back and bigger and more beautiful than ever, but are outgrowing their homes. Well, now that I'm trying to find my own perlite and peat moss.. I CANT FIND ANY that is devoid of all the miracle grow fertilizers and added minerals and nutrients! I have scoured every store and the Internet.. And I don't want to kill my babies! So here I am .. I'm hoping to get some good advice from you folks! And share my adventure with you..
By Fangore
Well I guess I should have read more .. I just read I should try a nursery.. Lol well so that's what I will do.
By cyph3r_gfy
Hi and welcome, Becca!

If you have to go to Lowes, you can try something like this for peat : http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?zip ... l=nofollow

^This is available for pickup here at my store location (which I just noticed is in the link). Might be worth looking into. Another smaller big box store "Ace" if you have one, definitely ships to store. While I haven't myself gone for peat, I have ordered untreated perlite and quartz sand using their ship to store option and was very satisfied. Yes, a nursery will probably be a great stop, also.

Best of luck!
By Dematerialize
Welcome, Becca! Fellow Georgian here(Augusta). I usually buy my perlite online on eBay, it's rather cheap since I don't use much. From Lowe's there's that Premier Peat Moss brand, although I haven't tried it yet(too big of a bag and I live in an apartment :( )
By IHaveNoIdea
Hi, Becca. And welcome. You should be able to buy silica sand at local construction supplies or what to call it. Not sure about perlite though. :?
By eastcoastsurfr16
Hey, n welcome to the south.lol I use pure long fiber sphagnum moss. U can get it at Lowe's. It tends to work better for me than 50/50 mix of peat and perlite. It's also less messy and doesn't compact as bas
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!