FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Tobi K
Hello all,

is it more successful when i take Drosera leaf cuttings on liquid media than solid media?

I have tried some leaf cuttings of different Drosera from sterile cultures and take it on fresh media in other test tubes. But i cannot see callus after some weeks. I have used media without PGR´s. Mostly Drosera need no hormones for make callus......

best regards
Tobi
By BigBella
Liquid media may me used on occasion, with or without the presence of PGRs; though my most consistent results have included the use of "Heller supports" or "bridges," made of strips of thick filter paper, folded into an "M" shape, with the "legs" of the letter serving as wicks, within a vial or test tube. The filter paper bridges are cut and folded ahead of time, and inserted into the necks of the vials, before autoclaving. Alternatively, sturdier versions can also be made using a few simple tools. Here is a link to a useful diagram:

https://books.google.com/books?id=PALeL ... re&f=false

The explant(s) get plenty of nutrients from the media, through capillary action, but never actually floats; it remains clear of the media itself, on the bridge; and it largely prevents incidents of phenolic bleeding, all too common to Dionaea and Drosera . . .

BigBella liked this

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!