FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By trooperkris
A couple days ago, I recieved my first catnip plant from a seller on eBay. I Found it interesting that catnip plants cause cats to react the way that they do (which is why I bought it). I was wondering if anybody else grew catnip, and could give me some growing tips and advice. Until it gets warmer outside, I will be growing the catnip plant inside, under a fluorescent lamp. I read that you can grow it the same medium as CP's (peat moss and perlite mixed), so that is how I have it potted right now.

I would post a picture of it, but a couple days after I recieved it, I noticed something was amiss. The plant was wilting for no reason, or so I thought. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the plant was infested with aphids.. :o I immediately sprayed the plant with pesticide, ending the infestation, but leaving behind a wilted plant. Hopefully it will recover, and I plan on sending a message to the seller, to make sure he sprays for pests next time before he ships.

Thanks in advance for the helpful advice and input. It is awesome to know that there are so many people on here who are so helpful to other fellow growers. :)
By Cleo_13
I used to have a number of catnip plants. For some reason my cats showed very little interest in them. I've read that it's genetic- some will go crazy, and others won't care. I once accidentally left both a catnip plant and my first VFT on my desk after doing some research on this forum. The catnip was untouched, but the VFT was missing many traps. They are in the mint family, so be warned if you move them outside. They can easily become invasive, and then you have all the neighborhood's stray cats rolling all over your yard. They spread through both seeds and runners (I think). Snip off the tips of the shoots to get bushier plants. As I recall, cats are supposed to like the buds better than the leaves. That's about what I remember.
Cleo_13 liked this
By Dematerialize
I started growing my catnip around October last year, I got seeds on eBay.

Many seeds sprouted...

Sadly only one survived.

A few months in:

I left it outside in winter and most of the tall stems/leaves died back. Once spring arrived it returned as a bush!
Dematerialize liked this
Not what you would expect...

Is it behind the seedling cup of drosera capensis […]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!