FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Jonathan_
I think my fav is Rehder Gaint 3! Awesome color! A question for you though Matt. Are they all 100% pure wild forms with no human hands to bring out certain characteristic(s)? A straight forward answer like "Yes" or "No" would be helpful.
By Matt
Jonathan_ wrote:Are they all 100% pure wild forms with no human hands to bring out certain characteristic(s)? A straight forward answer like "Yes" or "No" would be helpful.
Yes. These plants were selected from wild populations.
By xr280xr
That's really cool. Nice to have some some new, unadulterated genes in the collection! I'm surprised you went for the biggest flytraps you could find knowing how you love quirky traits over size. I can certainly see why you would pick the 3 you did, though. :) What was the soil these were growing in like?
By Matt
xr280xr wrote:I'm surprised you went for the biggest flytraps you could find knowing how you love quirky traits over size.
Well, the only plants that weren't "typical" looking were plants we (FlytrapStore) had sent to Dan to plant in the garden, like FTS Crimson Sawtooth and some short-toothed seed-grown flytraps. Otherwise, all of the flytraps looked fairly typical, so I just chose the largest ones :)
xr280xr wrote:What was the soil these were growing in like?
It was kind of a heavy, black peat-like soil (not truly peat though) with some small white sand mixed in. I guess the locals call it sugar sand. The sand did look a lot like sugar in size and color.
By xr280xr
Matt wrote: Well, the only plants that weren't "typical" looking were plants we (FlytrapStore) had sent to Dan to plant in the garden, like FTS Crimson Sawtooth and some short-toothed seed-grown flytraps. Otherwise, all of the flytraps looked fairly typical, so I just chose the largest ones :)
That would've been my second guess (no freaks available) ;)
Matt wrote: It was kind of a heavy, black peat-like soil (not truly peat though) with some small white sand mixed in. I guess the locals call it sugar sand. The sand did look a lot like sugar in size and color.
I want to check that out someday. It would be cool to see and feel what they naturally adapted to grow in.
By Matt
xr280xr wrote:I want to check that out someday. It would be cool to see and feel what they naturally adapted to grow in.
The soil was interesting for sure. And at other sites in the wild, many of the flytraps we saw were growing in or around live sphagnum.
By Kevonicus
Wow Matt! too awesome! This is a Dream come true.It makes sense why the flytraps found in nature would appear to be smaller in the wild, they have a lot more going against them. Glad to see someone get it into tissue culture to see how big it gets with some TLC! :mrgreen:
Kevonicus liked this
By SwiggityStag
What an amazing opportunity! And such beautiful and LARGE plants! I am glad there are places out here like this to preserve plants in their natural form. Especially a plant like the VFT that is only technically native to one area.
SwiggityStag liked this

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!