FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
Wow! Growing a lot faster than mine, that is for sure. Great seedlings!
katya_dog1 liked this
By chevyguy8893
Many of the smaller seedlings that were germinated at the same time as the largest seedlings are putting out larger traps, but still nowhere near the size of the largest. Some of them still remain small, but I'm sure they will catch up. I also moved the rest of the eBay seeds out of their germination container (had to make room for some different seeds) and planted them with older flytraps. I'm glad I did since they are showing far more potential than I originally thought. It will be interesting to see how the progress as well.

Anyway, here's the photos. They are just quick cellphone pictures, so the representation is not as accurate as I would like.

eBay seedling, longer petioles as compared to the other seedlings.
Image0208151609 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

Image0208151610a by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

Image0208151610b by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

Side-by-side for a comparison picture. The pot on the right is mostly the eBay seedlings, but the top center seedling (closest to the Sarracenia) was germinated at the same time as the left container. It has also been fed the same, and grown under the same light (up until recently where it grows under a more intense light than the left container).
Image0208151620 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr
chevyguy8893 liked this
By chevyguy8893
Maiden wrote:Very nice ! You are talented :-)
Thanks! I can't take full credit though :). Your feeding guide has progressed these plants along very well, and the plant stock that created these seeds from both the FTS and the eBay seller are great.
By katya_dog1
Great as always! Love the color on the seedlings, how do you feed? With tweezers or with a toothpick or something?

My babies need repotting, but growth and color are picking up with more light.
katya_dog1 liked this
By chevyguy8893
katya_dog1 wrote:Great as always! Love the color on the seedlings, how do you feed? With tweezers or with a toothpick or something?

My babies need repotting, but growth and color are picking up with more light.
Thanks! I feed them bloodworms or ground up fish food pellets using fine point forceps. The size of the forceps allowed me to feed them since they had their first trap without any damage. The few that get bloodworms/biweekly foliar feeding in the large Darlingtonia pot seem to be responding well also. So I may try that out as well with the feeding to see how it goes in something a bit more controlled at a later time (my Heliamphora seem to do very well on the same combo).

Awesome, did you get a new grow light, or have you started getting more sunlight?
By chevyguy8893
tish wrote:Very cute little ones, do you have a photo of those 90 over germinated vft babies?
The eBay seedlings that I separated out are intermixed in the photos with the FTS seedlings, but I don't have any individual photos of them. Unfortunately, even though I had a high germination from the 90 or so seeds, many of them were lost to what was presumably Botrytis that came about soon after germination. Though the survivors have turned out very nice.
SwiggityStag wrote:You have some very beautiful plants! It's amazing how big they are already and it isn't even spring yet!
Thank you! I am surprised by the growth rate they can achieve with consistent feedings and strong, artificial light. I can't wait to get them outdoors into much stronger light (that will be a while still :( ).
By chevyguy8893
I must say that I am impressed on how much of a difference feeding makes in growing flytraps from seed. While I don't have photos, the difference in size of seedlings that I feed and the ones I don't is significant. The eBay seedlings that I separated were crowding each other out, so I had to repot them. I left the smaller seedlings alone that are in the same pot, but two of them needed their own space since they were trying to eat each other :D. It will be nice when I can get them all moved outdoors.

Prior to repotting
ImageDSC_0874 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

The seedling on the right is from the FTS seed (7 months old, and not the largest), and the one on the left is from the eBay seed (5 months old).
ImageDSC_0876 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

FTS seed grown
ImageDSC_0879 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

eBay seed grown
ImageDSC_0880 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0881 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr
chevyguy8893 liked this
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!