FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
I used a paint brush for mine, and they set fruit the best in two years.
By katya_dog1
It was a bell pepper though, but I cannot imagine hot peppers being much different.
By bvalente
@maiden thats aweosme!! mine are starting to produce flowers now too :)
By Maiden
I will try. I think shaking the flowers works also. I am used to pollinate complicated flowers, im lost when its too easy LOL
By Maiden
Just got a new shipment of pepper seeds from a friend ! Quite amazing !!

I will have pepper seeds for life LOL
By Maiden
My first hot pepper growing.Image
:D

Im a total novice with veggies growing, anyone have advices for me at this stage?
By katya_dog1
Lots of warm light, KEEP WET! Peppers will not forgive you if they don't have enough water during fruit set, and they will short you on yields if they get unhappy.

Other than that, just be patient and give them some fertilizer according to manufacturers directions. Use something high in phosphorus, not nitrogen.

Enjoy!
By Maiden

Yes i keep my plants's soil always moist.
Many growers told me to keep the soil always dry, and to wait a lil leaves wilt before add water again. But each time i do that, my plants struggle and all the flowers abort.
:/
By katya_dog1
Maiden wrote:Many growers told me to keep the soil always dry, and to wait a lil leaves wilt before add water again.
Who in the world told you that? That is a sure method for failure when growing fruiting plants. Herbs like a little stress, it improves the flavor but I won't get into that.
By Maiden
Many growers on thehotpepper forum and many websites also.

Anyway, i have to make my own experience. Since i keep my pepper always moist, they just thrive:)
By bvalente
I honestly gave the pepper growing hobby up. The lights were working beautifully and the plants growing fast. The issue came when they were blooming, they wouldn't set. After some research, it was because the temps weren't warm enough or providing a big enough swing since they're growing in my basement. My CP's are fine for their dormancy/growing but its not warm enough for peppers. So I tried adding some CFL lights around it on the timer to increase the ambient temp with no prevail. I wasn't trying to run my electric bill up so I decided to sell everything and stick to my passion with CP's.
By katya_dog1
Maiden wrote:Many growers on thehotpepper forum and many websites also.

Anyway, i have to make my own experience. Since i keep my pepper always moist, they just thrive:)
Yeah, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Do whatever works for you.

I honestly don't know about the watering, everything I have seen (and in my own experience) is that you have to water water water during fruit set. But maybe those hot pepper growers have high humidity, deep roots, etc.

But for me, until this past year when I got a soaker hose and turned it on every day, I would never get large fruit. I think regular watering is just something that needs to be done, but when you have more experience you can play around a bit.
By Maiden
Katya, i think i just found my information source for my hot peppers setup. I will probably have many questions for you, in the next few months :) Thanks a lot !

Bvalente: i 100% understand. My cps will always be #1. But im a hot pepper lover, so growing some of the hottest pepper in the world is fun for me :-)
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!