FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By entropy81
Go with whatever gives you the least dead space and allows you to grow the plants you want. How tall is the terrarium vs. how tall will the plants you want to keep in it get? If you have the space for 2 shelves you may as well not waste the space. How tall of a heli do you want to put in there?
By Sander
Well, i plan on having 2 shelves now, on a single side of the terrarium for the smaller plants (6 leds each "shelve"), the other side of the terrarium is reserved for the heli's that get larger then ~18 cm's.

Always a tricky situation, ill make it in such a way i can easily remove the shelve on one side, or add one on the other side as well.

@tish: i do plan on testing it before i put it to use, the last thing i want is to fry my plants, haha!
By katya_dog1
Sounds like you have a good plan, I thought that helis never got above 5-6 inches (12.5 to 15 cm.)
By Sander
katya_dog1 wrote:Sounds like you have a good plan, I thought that helis never got above 5-6 inches (12.5 to 15 cm.)

Well, i knew most stayed relatively small, but i received a photo from a german grower yesterday (gonna buy 16 rarer helis from him), i think it was an ionasii, the pitcher was at least 30-40 cm's!
By katya_dog1
:shock: Now THAT is a large CP in general!!
By Sander
Ok, has not been my week, work has been busy, tried to order 10 leds on ebay, ordered 100 instead (luckely seller allowed me to cancel) and my (most fuel efficient diesel production in the world!) car needs repairs...

Im now fitting the shelve and its looking good!
Sander liked this
By Sander
tish wrote:Opps, sorry to hear that your car needs repair. I know it can be a real pain when you have to travel to get things done. Anyway don't rush your diy setup. take your time to plan properly. Image

Imagin your shelves with 100 leds Image

Nothing major, just the clutch cilinder that needs replacing.
I do not plan on rushing it, but i ordered 16 new helis (mostly rare ones) which have to fit in the other tank untill this one is done.
Hahaha, a new landmark which can be seen from the moon will be created, radiating all over our town :mrgreen:
By Sander
Quick update, got a refund on the arduino clock module (still didnt arrive, and item is out of stock while seller still has the listing on...)

I did get 2 relais, but i ordered the wrong ones (12v while arduino is 5v), they need an external supply so i ordered a 5v one as well.
Also got the ultrasonic humidifier.

Today i will add the shelve (did all the pre-work like epoxy laminating, drilling holes, painting it and fitting threaded rods the last few days).

and maybe i will add:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Useful-Thermoel ... 58b6cca4c5

Later on :)
Sander liked this
By Sander
Time for the humidifier test:
Before:

After: (on about 1 minute)

Vid:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzwTKwZ_ozs[/youtube]

There is 1 downside to the humidifier, it sputters a lot... so have to think of a solution for that.
I have also read that helis dont like the humidifier, so first ill run some tests as well.
By Sander
I received 16 Heli's yesterday (some really rare ones as well), so i need to get a move on...

I also tested the humidifier today (inside the new tank), in 5 minutes the whole terrarium is filled with a thick fog.
But i am afraid the water reservoir of the humidifier will be empty fast on hot days (due to the fan blowing every second), this weekend ill measure water usage, if to high i will try to make it a easy refill system that has more capacity like the pic below

Edit: this does need a screw cap on the top reservoir (so air can only enter when water level drops)

This way i wont have any sputter problems, easy refil and the fan will disperse the fog, im thinking about making this from those cheap plastic boxes u can get nearly anywhere. This should be fairly easy (although i'd hate the extra wires.)
Sander liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!