FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By EXD
These days my Nepenthes Hookeriana (I don't know what it is yet) looks like it's dying yet keeps growing. Parts of the pitchers have become brown and the new leaves are wrinkling. The plant keeps growing but the new leaves wrinkle and turn dark at the sides. Does anyone know what's happening? I also noticed that there is a ton of perlite in the mix.
By roarke
Cut down the perlite, wash it if you don't know it is natural and not mixed with something else. When did you buyed the plant ? It may have start its aclimatization. Or the winter is coming and it will grow slower.
By nblaster9
Do you water the plant with rain or distilled water? What are the growing conditions it might not be getting enough light. How much direct sun does it get or is it on grow lights? What is the humidity? How long have you had the plant is it still adapting? I would bump up the humidity and put it in a place with bright diffused light if it is stressed out. If you haven't been watering with distilled water there could be a mineral build up. Just buy a gallon of distilled water and rinse out the pot a couple times. Hope I can help!
By EXD
nblaster9 wrote:Do you water the plant with rain or distilled water? What are the growing conditions it might not be getting enough light. How much direct sun does it get or is it on grow lights? What is the humidity? How long have you had the plant is it still adapting? I would bump up the humidity and put it in a place with bright diffused light if it is stressed out. If you haven't been watering with distilled water there could be a mineral build up. Just buy a gallon of distilled water and rinse out the pot a couple times. Hope I can help!
Yes! It might be too little light. Right now as winter is nearing there's like 3 hours of sunlight every morning (I face the East). Will little sunlight actually kill the plant? I can always use a terrarium. I've got an empty fish tank and a light. I think humidity should be ok, as I have from 50 to 90 percent all year.
By EXD
roarke wrote:Cut down the perlite, wash it if you don't know it is natural and not mixed with something else. When did you buyed the plant ? It may have start its aclimatization. Or the winter is coming and it will grow slower.
I bought it around 2 months ago I think. At that time it was a small seedling and the potting mix worked for all my other carnivorous plants.
By Jeremias159
EXD wrote:Yes! It might be too little light. Right now as winter is nearing there's like 3 hours of sunlight every morning (I face the East). Will little sunlight actually kill the plant? I can always use a terrarium. I've got an empty fish tank and a light. I think humidity should be ok, as I have from 50 to 90 percent all year.
If the light level is to low, it will not pitcher, but the rest of the plant will still grow healthy (as long as it get some light), so if it is producing pitchers it should be fine with the light level.
EXD wrote:I think humidity should be ok, as I have from 50 to 90 percent all year.
As for the humidity level, 90% is really high, dont know if 50% is ok, but again it will not pitcher if the humidity isnt high enough. So its all about the pitchers ;)

Could u post a few pictures? that might help us find the reason the plant is dying, but growing. :)
By EXD
Jeremias159 wrote: As for the humidity level, 90% is really high, dont know if 50% is ok, but again it will not pitcher if the humidity isnt high enough. So its all about the pitchers ;)

Could u post a few pictures? that might help us find the reason the plant is dying, but growing. :)
I just want to ask, is there a way to create humidity without using a machine or anything, because I moved the plant inside under a light I have a spray.

Sure, I'll post one when I get home.
By EXD
anyway, this problem seems to be resolved. I moved it indoors for artificial light and it's actually growing a good pitcher now. I have an additional question: Will topping the soil with sphagnum moss raise the humidity? I heard somewhere that wet sphagnum moss creates humidity or something.
Hello, New to the forum

I wish! These are city slicker deer. No hunting […]

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!