FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By trooperkris
What I mean is, i'm tired of the old 'leave the window open, and hope a fly gets in' trick, in order to lure it to my carnivorous plants. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to attract flies, but won't attract the attention of the director of my college dorm. I'm thinking of ideas involving cutting the top off a water bottle, and using it as a makeshift trap, that once a fly flies in, it wont be able to get out, or something of that nature. Any opinions would greatly help. thanks :D
By LAKJP
It might be difficult if you want to catch bigger flies... they are fewer that smaller flies, but it's still possible if you try
LAKJP liked this
By coline
the way for big flies is with the meat, but for fruitflies those traps LAKJP mentioned are great, and fruitflies are much easier to raise.
And of course, rotten meat does not have a nice odor, and does not attract only flies... (rats, predators, other animals..)
coline liked this
By digilexic
trooperkris wrote:okay, so once I have the fruit flies in the bottle, what do you think I should do, to get them to become plant food? Should I take plants and fruitfly trap in the bathroom, let them free, and hope they land in the traps?
Place the container in the refrigerator. The flies will become dormant and you can feed them out individually.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD
digilexic liked this
By coline
Or make the container have an escape tube going up, make it so that you may provide light only to that tube when harvesting, close the bottom, take the flies into the fridge and use them as wanted, also some 95% ethanol and pure acetone are household items that make the flies dizzy
By DavDef
I just put a plastic container outside with the following mixture to attract flies, works superbe.

- milk
- oatmeal
- vinegar
- mashed up banana's
- honey

Have been reading a lot about flies , and they like vinegar or beer (for the sharp smell). Just mix it up and put it in a few containers. Then put the containers around your vft's, you'll see :-D (keep in mind that you'll be luring a lot of flies ! )

EDIT **
I only feed them after dormacy, to regain strength a bit faster. also because they tend to flower in that period so every source of food is welcome I guess :P
Last edited by DavDef on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
DavDef, DavDef liked this
By Goodkoalie
I put my traps outside, and let them cAtch their own food. I did feed them all lady bugs and pill bugs, since they are all flowering

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
By Handrail Pete
Maintaining fruit fly cultures is easy. You want to go with flightless, or wingless, ones. They are simply the same exact fly but have been selectively bred to lose their wings..it's a common source of food for small pet frogs and lizards. I started out breeding them for my small Texas horned lizard and now also use them for my smallest of fly traps. You could order a small vial of something like 20-40 flies for a very inexpensive price (maybe 5 dollars) and then just cook up your own media recipe in a 32 ounce deli container. From the time you put those 20 flies to breeding in your new media, you will have up to 200 in 1 week!
Handrail Pete liked this
By Mufasa
bumping an old thread, but this forum isn't too active anyway

what i've done in the past is just put my fly traps next to my cats food bowl at night, i've been able to see it catch flies (as in, actually seen the flies wander into the traps and get eaten), adn i've seen up to 4 or 5 closed traps full of flies after an hour or so of doing this

i might suggest just putting a dish of moist dry food near your fly traps, in a wind-sheltered area, the dry food doesn't stink, unless you left it there for days and days or weeks
Mufasa liked this

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!