FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Rainbow101
I put my Venus Fly Trap outside following advice on here, and now my dad's brought it inside again as it's looking a little rough around the edges.

I'm worried that the plant will just get really confused now as it was inside, then outside and now inside again :? Before going outside it was really looking nice and healthy and green. It was also throwing lots of traps out. When I put it outside it started to go all yellow and black, but it did catch all of its food on its own.

I noticed that it completely slowed down growth as well. Its traps stopped developing and there were no new traps like I'd seen before. I realised that it started to grow a new one after about two weeks of nothing and it really is generally slowing down.

I thought dormancy was supposed to be around halloween and it started to slow down in the middle of September????

Obviously the winters are getting worse in the UK (flooding mainly) and I want to get it passed dormancy for next year.

Starting to think it might have been better off just stuck on the sunny window sill in my room, but I don't want it to die or anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all :)
By MrsMuscipula
If it was put into direct sunlight, it may have gotten a bit of sunburn. Moving plants from inside to outside needs to be done slowly and gradually. It's quite possibly just in shock from being in a new environment so quickly. Even if it was in a sunny window, there is a big difference in light from inside to outside. It will bounce back, but yes, decide if you want it inside or outside. If you keep it inside you can do a fridge dormancy. Read "Refrigerator dormancy" near the bottom of this page: http://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-trap-dormancy.html
By Rainbow101
Thanks very much for your answer :) I think I'll keep it inside and wait for it to bounce back.

I'll also read about the fridge dormancy :)
By tish
Where ever u want it permanently. Gradually move it slowly. Not in an instant. Perhaps over 1 week at least. The currwnt traps will definitely feel the impact if it was from a different environment be4. The new traps that grows in the new environment will adapt :)

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!