FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Mufasa
Hey everyone, i have a question about VFT cultivars
From my understanding, all VFT plants are the same species, just different cultivars, of it, many commercial VFT's are cloned
Every seed grown VFT is genetically different from all others, and will have unique characteristics

So, does this mean, all these extra large traps, small traps (cudo), and just all exceptional plants, were created through hatching a lucky seed? perhaps a little artificial selection involved?
So, if i was to for example, grow 1000 plants from seed, there's a chance i could find something quite exceptional (ie, abnormally large or small traps, abnormally compact, exceptionally colored, exceptionally hardy/fast growing), perhaps even to the point where it would be quite commercially valuable because of exceptional features..
Is this how species such as DC XL and b52 came into existance? if i grow 100 plants from seed, there's a chance i could find something amazing? (although, all these plants are amazing)

thanks
By tish
You are quite right on VFT being one a single specie and those named plants are mostly cultivated variety. Those named cultivar can only be cloned not seed grown. There are also registered and non registered cultivar.

You are also right that all seeds will have some interesting traits appear from time to time but most will still have their parent genes.

The value of the plant lies on how good the marketing and publication is.
tish, tish liked this
By katya_dog1
LAKJP, I do believe that is the best simple explanation I have come across yet. I will definitely remember that.
katya_dog1 liked this
By LAKJP
katya_dog1 wrote:LAKJP, I do believe that is the best simple explanation I have come across yet. I will definitely remember that.
Thanks! The only difference between us and VFT's is that we cannot be propagated :P
By MrsMuscipula
LAKJP wrote:
katya_dog1 wrote:LAKJP, I do believe that is the best simple explanation I have come across yet. I will definitely remember that.
Thanks! The only difference between us and VFT's is that we cannot be propagated :P
Well, technically we can be cloned, but asexual propagation is not that easy for us. ;) Identical twins are examples of clones in the same general idea as plants. Their cells divided into two genetically identical copies.
By Mufasa
LAKJP wrote:True, but I meant that we cannot do arm-pullings or leg-pullings XD
thanks to experimentation during the middle ages-
you can
watch braveheart if you don't believe me ;)
By katya_dog1
LAKJP wrote:True, but I meant that we cannot do arm-pullings or leg-pullings XD
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!