FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Thought I'd share some photos of how large FTS Lunatic Fringe can get. I'm sure that there are better growers out there living in better places to grow flytraps who could get FTS Lunatic Fringe even larger than my plant, but I was pretty proud of my plant! So I'm sharing some snapshots of how large the traps can get, including how wide they are, and the overall plant.

Trap size in inches
Lunatic_Fringe_trap_length.JPG
Lunatic_Fringe_trap_length.JPG (87.37 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
Trap size in centimeters
Lunatic_Fringe_trap_length_cm.JPG
Lunatic_Fringe_trap_length_cm.JPG (62.73 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
Trap width in inches
Lunatic_Fringe_trap_width.JPG
Lunatic_Fringe_trap_width.JPG (100.79 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
Overall plant size
Lunatic_Fringe_premium plant.JPG
Lunatic_Fringe_premium plant.JPG (107.77 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
Matt, Matt, Matt and 2 others liked this
By Matt
Dionae wrote:What's the biggest trap youve noticed in your garden this year?
Not sure. DC XL put out some huge traps as it broke dormancy this year, as it always does. It probably had the largest ones so far. I didn't measure them, but I'd guess somewhere in the 1.7" to 1.8" range.
Matt liked this
By mnwatson1
Love it! I want one of these sooo bad, largely because of the name! A game a childhood friend and I used to play together was part of an After Dark screensaver package, and it was called Lunatic Fringe. ;) this plant always makes me think of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mnwatson1 liked this
By katya_dog1
Very nice! How old is it?
katya_dog1 liked this
By Matt
katya_dog1 wrote:Very nice! How old is it?
Not sure. Age is mostly irrelevant when it comes to flytraps because of the way they grow. I think I too my first FTS Lunatic Fringe out of tissue culture over 3 years ago, so this plant has probably been around since then.
By katya_dog1
Oh, so you did get it from TC and not as a plant when you first started. Thanks, that is what i wanted to know.
By Matt
katya_dog1 wrote:Oh, so you did get it from TC and not as a plant when you first started. Thanks, that is what i wanted to know.
FTS Lunatic Fringe originated as a seed I started in tissue culture 4 or so years ago.
By katya_dog1
Okay. Now I am confused. I meant is that the largest of the divisions you did off FTS lunatic fringe when you put the seed in TC? Or is it a plant propagated from the original FTS lunatic fringe? By that I mean was it tissue in the culture when you started it or the actual seed?
By Matt
katya_dog1 wrote:Okay. Now I am confused. I meant is that the largest of the divisions you did off FTS lunatic fringe when you put the seed in TC? Or is it a plant propagated from the original FTS lunatic fringe? By that I mean was it tissue in the culture when you started it or the actual seed?
Sorry, but I don't understand the questions.

I started a seed in tissue culture. That seed contained the embryo for the plant which became FTS Lunatic Fringe. Some plants from that seed were first potted out of TC about 3 or 4 years ago. This is one of those plants or one of its divisions.
By katya_dog1
OK. I got it this time. I read more on TC yesterday, and now realize that they DIVIDE, not just grow fast. That explains why TC is so good for propagation. Thank you.
By katya_dog1
I had thought that there would be just one plant from that seed, not multiple clumps.
By Matt
katya_dog1 wrote:I had thought that there would be just one plant from that seed, not multiple clumps.
Oh! Yeah, it's almost impossible to get just one plant out of TC even if you remove the seedling right after germination. They almost immediately start dividing right after they germinate.
Matt liked this

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!