FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Swizz
I only grow Highlanders Nepenthes my small collection are N.Allardii, xVentrata, Lady Pauline, an Black Knight, an my new Lowii x Campanulata. All have been potted with 60% LFS+ 20% Perlite 20% Pine Bark. Is this a decent mix with Highlanders. As I was thinking of repotting Lowii x Campanulata which I only got this week, N.Allardii, xVentrata, Black Knight. I will leave Lady Pauline mix as it seems to like the mix. But the rest I was thinking of replacing it with 50% Coir husk chips with 50% perlite as they can tolerate fertiliser better than LFS of course will have to desalinate it for a couple of days or may leave it to soak for a week an continuously wash it till it reaches below tds reading 50PPM.

Only reason I was thinking of this is its still middle of Winter here in Syd AUS, still have AUG to go till spring, an i want to start using diluted seasol fertiliser for the growing season Get them strong & ready for the Spring an Brutal heat waves of Summer as summer here can average summer Temps of 35-39 even the 40 degree (104) for weeks. As LFS is not good for fertiliser I want to start a routine of coffee feeding an fertilising as a combo as my plants looks stagnant just need a good boost an strength for the months ahead.
By Anthony
I use 2 different mixes for my Neps.
- equal parts peat moss, perlite, orchid bark, pumice, & a bit of vermiculite
- equal parts NZ Sphagnum moss, tree fern fiber, orchid bark, perlite

most of my Neps are in the 1st mix, and seem to do great. The 2nd is the mix that California Carnivores use. It seems to work great for their plants. I thought i'd try it, for my more recent plants. I'm told Neps grow well in a wide variety of mixes, so some experimenting may be in order until you find what works best for your conditions
By Swizz
Yeah i have the second mix minus the fern fibre. Thanks i might try the 1st one when i get another highlander nepenthes.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!