FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By bsmith38
Hello all,

It has been about 6 weeks since I stopped watering my butterworts and I thought I would post some pictures of what they look like. I had an accident a few weeks ago with my P. Weser as I dropped the pot and the plant fell out along with most of the dirt, but I think I did well to clean it up and set it back in. My P. Weser still has 2 flowers and has started growing much smaller leaves, but they may still be carnivorous and it also looks like it is or has split into two plants which is exciting :) My P. Esseriana has also started growing smaller leaves. The growth has decreased substantially since I stopped watering each plant and it is really hard to see any changes from day to day though they are happening if you compare past pictures with the ones that follow. Thanks for viewing and here are some pics!

By bsmith38
Hey guys,

Its been a month since I last posted and about 10 weeks since I stopped watering my Butterworts. There have been very noticeable changes and I thought I would show them. My Weser has dropped its remaining flowers and split into 3 separate growing points :shock: and in the past few weeks my Esseriana has started to slowly put up a flower stalk ;) . Each plant has slowly grown more small leaves and things seem to be going correctly. Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by bsmith38 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bsmith38
Hello,

It's been about 2 weeks since I posted and my Esseriana has finally had its flower bloom. It took about twice as long to grow than in summer and the flower and stalk are about twice as small than in summer. There is also another flower bud ready to grow as well. Bad lighting as it is cloudy/snowing and almost night time.

bsmith38 liked this
By bsmith38
Hello,

I last posted about two months ago and since then I have re-potted my esseriana and weser along with leaf pullings from the esseriana in 2 parts perlite and 1 part peat moss. There is a flower bud starting on my esseriana and it is producing new carnivorous leaves from the center. My weser hasn't been doing much, but maybe it takes longer to come out of winter growth plus there are three divisions connected together still as I wasn't able to separate them during re-potting. I am fully watering them now as the days get warmer and longer which is around 2 times per week.

Center of the pot is the mother plant, there are three leaf pullings on each side of the center plant which have all struck, and a random plant that started growing on top which I am curious to see what it is.

Three divisions of weser slowly growing I think.
bsmith38 liked this
By bsmith38
Hello,

I wanted to post some pics on the new growth occurring in the past few weeks. My esseriana flower has been open for a while now and my weser has finally started putting out carnivorous leaves from all three growing points, though one side is growing faster than the others. I also have 7 leaf pullings from my esseriana growing in the pot now as well.

Thanks for viewing,

-Brandon
bsmith38 liked this
By Grey
They all look beautiful, Brandon. You're doing a great job! My wesers have finally started growing carnivorous leaves as well - fantastic timing, too, as I have an influx of fruit flies and the leaves are becoming absolutely smothered.

Thank you for the update. :)
By bsmith38
Hello,

It's been about 10 weeks since I last posted as I have been busy and my phone camera doesn't work, but I have some picture updates. My 3 Weser plants have been growing their carnivorous leaves since I last posted and have caught many small gnats (~20) over the past 2 months. My Esseriana has also been growing, but has only caught maybe 2-3 gnats. I also have narrowed down my leaf cuttings to 4 little guys growing on the side.

Esseriana

Weser

Thanks for viewing,

-Brandon
bsmith38 liked this
By bsmith38
Hello friends,

It has been around 10 weeks since I last posted and my plants have been doing well, but nothing special to report. It was around this time last year my Weser started to flower, but there are not yet signs of flowers this year on any of the three plants. My Esseriana and its 5 offshoots are doing good as well. I will be lessening my watering throughout this month and stop watering by November. I took these pics with my computer webcam so the quality is not as good.

I will post again if my plants flower or during their rosette changes.

Thanks for viewing,

-bsmith38
bsmith38 liked this
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!