FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
Last year, when I first got interested in VFTs, I was struck by the similarities to some of the orchids I was already collecting. Not in appearance, but in history. VFTs have no relatives close enough for hybridization (that I know about, anyway). If you want a plant that has a different look, you've got to line breed any variation that naturally shows up. "Samurai Orchids" (Neofinetia falcata) were treated in exactly the same way. The thing is, the Japanese have been doing this for 400 years - which means there are lots of different Neos today. Like VFTs, some of these differences are easy for even a novice to see, while others have differences only for the trained eye of an expert. I have three variations currently in flower, so I thought I'd post 'em.
Attachments:
Green flowers (there are also many shades of pink flowers)
Green flowers (there are also many shades of pink flowers)
DSCN2144a.jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
Similar to the way they started out
Similar to the way they started out
DSCN2145a.jpg (45.21 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
Variegated leaves (there are also variegations with bands going across the leaves)
Variegated leaves (there are also variegations with bands going across the leaves)
DSCN2142a.jpg (48.58 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
evenwind, evenwind, evenwind and 4 others liked this
By evenwind
stubbingsj wrote:Those look really cool! Are they easy to get?
Well, you won't find them in big box stores or your local garden center but they're reasonably common at dedicated orchid nurseries. (You can look for orchid nurseries on the American Orchid Society or Orchid Mall websites.) Or, you can take your chances on Ebay. Just beware of sticker shock. Many of the rarer types can go for big money. That said, you can usually find them for $15 or less, if you are patient. Be careful that the description isn't "mounted" - a potted plant is easier to care for.

(You can PM me if you'd like more info.)
evenwind liked this
By SEWinans
I had no idea there were so many different orchids until I started looking at your threads. Seriously awesome!
SEWinans liked this
By kcbugs
Nice!! I have several Neos and Neofinetia hybrids. Great little orchids! Are you growing them s/h? I've heard several folks say they've tried, but the Neos didn't seem to respond well to it. I have a Darwinara/Neo hybrid I'm trying it with.
By evenwind
I tried a couple in my inexpert semi-hydro but I just wound up with squishy roots. So, for the Neos, I'm using NZS or Leca (treated as bark chips) in small 2-part (inner sleeve/outer shell) ex-s/h pots. The larger hybrids are in either NZS, Orchiata or pretend-that-they're-bark-chips Leca balls in standard orchid pots.
By iamjacksplants
WOW! Those are AWESOME!

I just got my first orchids today. Two Bulbophyllum calogossum, one mounted one potted.

I got it bad already tho, as I have three more on order. I like the miniature and micro species. Initially just because I thought they would fit better in my grow area, but now I'm completely hooked on their compact size and intricate miniature flowers.

Here's what I got. I already moved it though to make room for some driftwood I plan on using for mountings. Have you done any mounting? I can't wait to try it!
Mounted on the little piece of wood, and potted in the small pot in the left corner
Mounted on the little piece of wood, and potted in the small pot in the left corner
IMG_20150924_1244207_rewind.jpg (859.42 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
Thanks for posting your plants. It's interesting you started orchids first. It's CP's that got me into orchids. :P

Cheers,
-@.
By evenwind
I've tried the occasional mount over the years but haven't had much luck. For the most part, a mounted orchid needs more hands-on time than I'm happy to supply. I think if I could find a low-maintenance mount, I'd try again. At one point I saw a free-standing, hollow, terracotta tube. The tube was to be filled with water and the porous terracotta allowed the right amount of moisture for the orchids mounted on the outside. Unfortunately, I saw pictures of the tubes after the manufacturer had already gone out of business...

Anyhow, good luck with the Bulbos. Have you discovered Pleurothallids yet?
evenwind liked this

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!