FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss carnivorous plant books here

Moderator: Matt

By NatchGreyes
Hey Everyone:

I wrote a book on Darlingtonia, which is now available (nearly) worldwide via Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Darlingtonia-Natc ... 149745185X, some bookstores, and my blog http://ngcarnivorousplants.blogspot.com ... rades.html.

It covers everything from the discovery of Darlingtonia to its cultivation and is filled with fascinating tidbits about the different varieties and habitats of Darlingtonia.

Just thought I would post this here to spread the word.
By Veronis
This is great!

I have always had trouble with darlingtonia. I don't know how to emulate the serpentine seeps/cool water running over the root system.

How do you take care of your darlingtonia from that perspective? Any tricks you can share?
By NatchGreyes
Well, generally, I grow montane plants, so, once established, I only need to worry about giving them cooler temperatures at night, which naturally happens since I'm in New England. I believe the general consensus is shallower trays (when possible) in live sphagnum is the easiest medium. When I was in the south, I would grow plants like this, placing some ice on top of the medium before going to bed. That would cool the roots over night.

Coastal plants are harder to grow because they generally require cooler temperatures all the time, which is difficult outside their local microclimates.

So, my suggestion would be to ask your supplier for a montane plant, buy it in winter, get it established, and then, maybe, ice it at night the first year, and not worry about it after that, as it should do fine.
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!