FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By bananaman
Hello!
I'm currently attempting to grow some store-bought ginger.
I know the conditions that this plant likes, but the problem is getting it to sprout.
From what I've read, it should be pretty easy.
Currently, I've been soaking the freshest ginger I could find at the store in water to remove any anti-sprouting chemicals if there are any.
Unfortunately, I don't have a heat mat with controlled temperatures at the moment, so it will be difficult to keep the ginger warm.
From what I've read, it sprouts much faster at higher temperatures.
Do any of you have experience sprouting store-bought ginger (Zingiber officinale) at roughly room temperature (for me, 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit)?
Thanks!
By Wikiwakawakawee
My mom always buys some to make tea with, and they always start sprouting in the fridge after about 2 weeks!
By Vern
My grandmother and grandfather have grown it in their yard for a number of years.
By Vern
bananaman wrote:I was just gone for a week, and I've noticed that one of the underground buds on one of the rhizomes has lengthened by 1/4"!
So, it seems as if I will be fairly successful!
That sounds great bananaman.
I gave a look around and there's a lot of tips and advice for growing ginger.

I visited my grandparents a few days ago and they said, roughly translated, "Grows like a potato, lots of eyes, not too much water, and keep it warm,, feed it. When you pull it up, don't wash it until you're ready to use it." Which in the end really does sound like a potato.
Vern liked this
By Annageckos
I know this is a little old, but I grow store bought ginger and it's so easy to grow. I look for healthy, plump ginger with a good amount of eyes. I start mine inside then plant outside in my garden, then harvest it in the fall. I put the ginger in a pot with compost, don't plant it deep, just covered. Then I put it on top of my fish tank light for heat till it sprouts, then move it to the window until it's nice enough for it to go outside.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!