FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Nick
After almost exactly 5 years since my first attempt at growing VFTs, I have decided to take on the challenge again. Since I am now a headstrong adult, I carefully considered the hits and misses I experienced the first time around and decided to start small by ordering 36 VFTs of 12 different cultivars :mrgreen:. In the 3.5-4ish years of my absence from the carnivorous plant community, I forgot how generous a community it was and my 36 expected VFTs ended up being closer to 65 :shock:. Special Thanks to Matt for the hook up!

Anywho, here goes:
They have arrived!
All soaking in prep for planting!
Whew! All done! Had to improvise with the last 4 pots but I can repot them later once they get big n strong. Special shout out to Matt for his pre-mixed planting media. It seemed very consistent throughout and looks like it has the perfect balance between water retention vs. drainage. Really glad to minimize that variable this time around. Thanks Matt!
All lined up on a south-facing porch.
Center: Megatraps
Perimeter: Typical
Center: FTS Flaming Lips
Perimeter: Jaws
Center: Typical
Perimeter: FTS Crimson Sawtooth
FTS Shogun Star
Bristletooth
more Bristletooth
Pink Venus
Fine Tooth x Red
Center: Long Red Fingers
Perimeter: FTS Maroon Monster
Center: B52
Perimeter: FTS Crimson Sawtooth
Last edited by Nick on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By bigpurp57
Wow! they look great and when you decided to grow again good thing you started out small. I hope the coffee cups have drainage but eh improvised pots look good.
By Nick
The beer mugs do not have any drainage, but I figured they were deep enough considering the smallish size of my plants right now. There are two other plastic cups that I might drill holes into (Fine Tooth X Red and Shogun Star pots), but we will see. I might just repot those in a couple weeks into something a little different.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Holy cats! Would you mind saying how much all of that cost you?? :shock: Very nice plants by the way! :)
By Nick
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:Holy cats! Would you mind saying how much all of that cost you?? :shock: Very nice plants by the way! :)
Since I told myself I am patient and can wait for big plants, I went for the highest value options from the suppliers (ex. 3/5 small plants for X difference from original price), so with all supplies included, I paid roughly $4 per plant which is a SWEET deal in my book. BIG THANKS to Matt and Leah of the FlyTrapStore for their generosity, awesome customer service and communication!
Nick liked this
By Nick
It looks like the little fellas are already waking up! I have a couple flower stalks peeking out on a FTS Shogun Star and a Typical, and the rest appear to be starting new growth/continuing trap formation. The Pink Venus and FTS Flaming Lips have also showed a lot more coloration. Updated pictures coming soon! Now I only need to think of 12 names for the different cultivars.

EDIT: Also, now that they have woken up, I will try feeding them DBW on regular intervals to boost growth.
By Nick
Update:

First off, these fellas are grown outside, I just brought them in tonight because we are supposed to get an unexpected freeze ~35deg tonight. I decided to make the best of it.

It's feeding/renaming time!

Dried blood worms rehydrated with distilled water:

Lots of full traps!

Mrs. Robinson (Pink Venus)

E. Honda (FTS Shogun Star)

E. Honda Flowering!

Baxter (Bristletooth)

Center: Yoshimi (FTS Flaming Lips) Perimeter: Brody (Jaws)

Center: Cruela (Long Red Fingers) Perimeter: Grimace (FTS Maroon Monster)

BRUCE (G17 Megatraps) and Ford Prefect (Typical)

Mina (Fine Tooth X Red)

Center: Ford Prefect (Typical) Perimeter: Cassandra (Crimson Sawtooth)

Bonus points for getting the name associations.
Nick liked this
By Nick
Just had another feeding session. Some traps were a bit slow to react but most formed before shipping so I'm not too worried. Mrs. Robinson is coloring up amazingly and practically all VFTs and even tiny plantlets are showing new growth. I'll try to get more pictures tomorrow.
By ironjaws
Aww man, good thing you started small... you don't want to get overwhelmed from the get go :lol: . Beautiful plants by the way!!

A suggestion, and this is just my opinion, but seeing as how you just got these beauties I would snip off any flower stalks that emerge. Forming flowers can drain a plant, you want them to get settled into their new location and pop up lots of traps before the energy-draining task of forming flowers.

E.Honda, man, haven't heard THAT name in a while :lol: .
ironjaws liked this
By Nick
ironjaws wrote:Aww man, good thing you started small... you don't want to get overwhelmed from the get go :lol: . Beautiful plants by the way!!

A suggestion, and this is just my opinion, but seeing as how you just got these beauties I would snip off any flower stalks that emerge. Forming flowers can drain a plant, you want them to get settled into their new location and pop up lots of traps before the energy-draining task of forming flowers.

E.Honda, man, haven't heard THAT name in a while :lol: .
Thanks! I do plan on cutting all flower stalks this year, just letting them get to be a bit bigger before I snip them. Might go ahead and cut them this afternoon.
tish wrote:They look amazing Nick. Glad you are back to vft and now you should be good at growing them :)

Sent from my SM-N9005
Thanks! I hope I don't mess up this batch :?
By Nick
Was not a fan of the progress of a few pots along with paranoia about pots with no drainage so I had a rainy day repotting party with a small experiment. Large pot is 50:50 peat/perlite with FTS media mixed in.

Pure LFS pot

2014 Porsche GT3 I saw today. It was surprisingly not on fire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Rmac88
:-P Nice Porsche, shocking that its not on fire for sure! Those plants look well potted and happy! I'm sure your in for a good long growing season, can't wait to see how they all look in a month or two
By Nick
Haha I wish I could take that Porsche. I was dropping off my car for service and saw it in the showroom. They already sold it but cannot release it yet because a few GT3s have completely burned due to engine fires.

Anywho, here's an update: I became much more concerned for my plants as some others showed lots of yellowing and one pot got pummeled in a heavy rainstorm. Therefore I had hopefully the last repotting party of this growing season.

Cruela looking rough
Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me
Pure LFSM pot got additions!
Baxter recovering
Dearest Mina...
E. Honda going strong
E. Honda clone attempts

EDIT: just noticed that those pictures aren't the greatest since I am blocking most of the natural light with my phone. I wish I could show how good the Mrs. Robinson pot is looking. It really does not translate in the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nick liked this
Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!