FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By munchie16201
Hi
I have a problem with ants invading my flytraps. They are the little red ants and there are a lot of them. Does anyone know how I can get rid of these? Please let me know.
Thanks
By munchie16201
Will these little red ants hurt my VFTs?
By cjpflaumer
I guess it would depend on the ant and what it's after in there.. I'm no expert but I don't think most ants would damage your plants, but you can always spray around the pot (on the outside or on whatever it is sitting on) with insecticide and they'll die off. If you do it this way you won't have to worry about using the wrong insecticide and killing your plants.
By munchie16201
Thanks. There were some ants in the LFS before I repotted, but after I got some new LFS and replanted them, there are way more than there used to be. The LFS did have a vinegar smell to it. Then I rinsed it to get rid of the smell but the ants are still there. Can I just wipe the outside of their growing container with some bleach and water? Or is that a definite NO?
Thanks for the help.
By cjpflaumer
I don't use LFS, but I got a small tree kit when I got married. Grow the tree from seed, point of the story is it came with a moss top dressing for looks. Well it wasn't LFS but ants LOVED it. I had to throw all the moss out. I wouldn't wash the container with bleach, because the fumes may hurt your plant.
By Kevonicus
Ants wont hurt the flytraps. If they become a problem, or really just a nuisance if your plants are indoors, I'd repot in fresh mix. Rinse the rootball soak for a bit.

btw, I've noticed a lot of my baby flytraps love catching ants :).
By munchie16201
Thanks for all the help. I know when my VFTs catch the big black ants the trap usually turns back and dies. I have never had the little red ants before like I do now. Was just worried the red ones would hurt my plants. The tiny ants are a pain in the butt. I have tried quite a few different things to get rid of them and they just keep coming back.
What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!