FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By akinkysnorlax
Hey Everyone! So I had a few questions regarding my usage of Avid. I have noticed there are red spider mites in my collection of Venus Flytraps, Sarracenia, Pinguicula and Drosera. The spider mites seem to enjoy the VFT's the most. I got a 1/2 ounce bottle of Avid on the internet and received it yesterday. I have been having trouble making conversions on how much AVID I should actually use. My collection is not large but it has about 50+ plants. I want to make sure I use the right amount of AVID to suppress the mites, but not use TOO MUCH or use TOO LITTLE to where the mites can actually become tolerant. On the conversion charts that came with the avid it said to use about 4 ounces of AVID per gallon. Problem is I dont use that much water with my plants. I use a 10 or 1 ounce spray bottle to mist my plants. I decided to put about 15 drops of AVID into my spray bottle with distilled water. It seems to have slowed down the mites, but I can still see some. I am unsure if they are dead or alive. Does anyone think I should up or down the dosage or have any other recommendations?
By Matt
I'm not sure if you have the same exact formulation of Avid that I do, but 4 ounces per 1 gallon seems like way too much. I use 1.2 ml/gallon and it is very effective at getting rid of the mites. Though it does take two or three applications over the course of 2 or 3 weeks to eliminate them completely.
By akinkysnorlax
The formulation is 2.0% Abamectin and 98% "other ingredients". It may have said 1/4 ounce instead of 4 ounces, I cannot seem to find the chart that came with the Avid. Is it recommended to apply once and then wait a week and apply again? Is it not safe to apply for consecutive days?
By Matt
akinkysnorlax wrote:The formulation is 2.0% Abamectin and 98% "other ingredients".
That's the same formulation I have. Use 1.2 ml/gallon of water. Spray enough to thoroughly cover the leaves. Wait a few days and then spray again.
akinkysnorlax wrote: Is it recommended to apply once and then wait a week and apply again? Is it not safe to apply for consecutive days?
No, it's perfectly safe. But spraying a few days apart ensures better coverage of all of the mites and at different stages of their life cycle.
Matt liked this

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!