FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By twigs
Does anyone have a good source for live sphagnum moss? I looked on ebay, but there is no telling the quality and/or source of the moss.

Any recommendations? I haven't been able to find any at nurseries around here.
By mktamin
Just used dead dried sphagnum as a top-dressing, and eventually, if the conditions are right, live sphagnum will eventually start growing on top of the dead one, though it's not guaranteed, because many of the sphagnum spores were probably washed off and/or killed, but chances are very good that at least one spore will make it and one is all you need. It will multiply and slowly cover your media. If your conditions aren't ideal for growing sphagnum, there's no point in buying live sphagnum moss, it'll just die.
By Adam
some species of Drosera do really well in LFS as opposed to anything else. The lance sundew is one. Hawaiian Botanicals only grow it in 100% LFS.
By twigs
kevinqwe wrote:you dont need live...
Its not for my flytraps. I want it more for my Cephs and other plants.
mktamin wrote:Just used dead dried sphagnum as a top-dressing, and eventually, if the conditions are right, live sphagnum will eventually start growing on top of the dead one, though it's not guaranteed, because many of the sphagnum spores were probably washed off and/or killed, but chances are very good that at least one spore will make it and one is all you need. It will multiply and slowly cover your media. If your conditions aren't ideal for growing sphagnum, there's no point in buying live sphagnum moss, it'll just die.
I do have this setup and a little bit is growing, but it isn't growing fast enough for my tastes.
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!