FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By AznPanda
So I bought a 3" venus fly trap today at home depot, it came with a plastic box as a terrarium, do I really need that though? So I was wondering if i needed to repot it, if so with what kind of growing media and pot size? Also how do you know if it needs a repot.
By Sander
Remove the plastic box, its known as "death cube", vft do not need the higher humidity, and it promotes molding. I have no clue if u need to repot is, but if u do, try a 7' deep pot, and i use 50/50 peat/perlite, but you could use 50/50 peat/quartssand as well.
By mnwatson1
AznPanda wrote:Would it be ok if I used 100% peat moss?
You want to make sure it's sphagnum peat moss, and mix it 50/50 with perlite or silica sand. Pure peat will probably stay way too wet. Definitely stay away from ALL miracle gro products though, as they enrich with fertilizers that will kill your plant.

Some (myself included,) prefer pure dried long fibered sphagnum moss instead, but it's really whichever you prefer.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
mnwatson1 liked this
By Tony C
AznPanda wrote:Would it be ok if I used 100% peat moss?
Pure peat will work for a while, but it will compact over time leading to anaerobic conditions which leave the plants susceptible to rot. I much prefer long fiber sphagnum over peat or peat based mixes for most carnivores.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!