FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Madd-D
Well, I bought a nice little venus flytrap a couple days ago, and it's still rather young. I was eager to see it in action, however, so I got my sister to swat a fly outside to feed it. However, she ended up swatting three, and now my venus flytrap has three flies to digest. I thought this was a good idea at first, but now I'm a little concerned. The plant keeps opening up again with the dead flies inside, obviously undigested. Should I leave it be, or try removing the flies? I'm afraid I may have overwhelmed it since it's so young.
By Greenthumbs Garden
I don't think you've over fed it with 3 flies, what I think you've done is kill the fly compleatly, it's better to keep the fly alittle alive so that once the trap closes the fly keeps on triggering the trap and the trap slowly closes tighter over the space of around 15min or so. If the fly is compleatly dead I read that you have to super gently massage the trap so it moves the hair triggers inside, do this a few times and the trap will stay shut and seal up.
I caught 3 fat Mosquitos the other day full of blood they were and I feed the lot to my baby Big Mouth.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in saying the above as I'm just a newbie too :)
By Leo756
You're right, Dr GreenThumb. The reason traps will not stay closed with dead insects inside is because it's the continued stimulation of the trigger hairs that lets the plant know it's caught something so it can go ahead and proceed with the sealing and digestion phases. While it's true that the same can be achieved by massaging the trap with your fingers, it's not always successful and may not be such a good idea for a total newbie beginner. It's much easier, *and* better for your plant, to simply place it outdoors where it can catch insects on its own, just as Nature intended. That way you don't have to worry about overfeeding it. And yes, you *can* force feed a flytrap too much, the same way you can over-fertilize a regular plant. Removing dead bugs from reopened traps isn't usually a very good idea either. You usually wind up triggering the trap to close again which only wastes more of the plant's energy in the long run. I've heard that leaving dead bug carcasses inside the traps will help lure more bugs, especially spiders, to come around, but I've never personally seen much evidence of that myself.
By Madd-D
Alright, thanks everyone! The trap is currently still opened with the dead flies, but I'm not going to force it closed. I'm leaving it outside today in the sunshine. It was raining yesterday and it barely got any, so I hope this helps it.
By Leo756
Just be careful not to overexpose it to *too* much hot, direct sun all at once if it's never been outdoors before. That can burn all the leaves completely off. I know some people say that's no big deal. They say, "Let it burn, baby!" because all the new leaves that come up afterwards will be acclimated to the hotter, brighter light, but that seems like an unnecessary stress on the plant to me. If you can gradually acclimate it to more and more direct sunlight without losing the leaves which are carrying out photosynthesis to make food for the plant, it seems like it would be better off in the long run.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!