FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cat1560
i bought a nepenthes Nepenthes x ventrata about 3 mothes ago and it was growing fine big leaves and pitchers but in winter all the pitchers died and it now growes very short leaves and dose not pitcher very much it is grown under artifical light 35 watts 14 hours a day inside a house and is misted daily and is at room temp all the time

any advice on restoring it to its former glory i really want those big lushes leaves and pitchers :D
By cat1560
as you can see the leaves are small
as you can see the leaves are small
009.JPG (373.78 KiB) Viewed 7375 times
008.JPG
008.JPG (355.96 KiB) Viewed 7375 times
Attachments:
010.JPG
010.JPG (342.32 KiB) Viewed 7375 times
By roarke
cat1560, i have 3 neph. ventrata and one in a plastic cup, recovering with moist media, because the root was short and it had 2 leaves. How many light do you have ? I have 2 and yours will pitcher after a few months, like mine did. You can leave the pitchers that are brown in half, they will retain their liquid and if not, put some distilled water inside. The pitchers raise their liquid level after they are feed. Feed them once a week.
By cat1560
I have 2 25 watt compact fluorescent lights and my nepenthes gets 14 hours of light so light is not the problem it may be because it is not a lower temp at night and it has low humidity and I was thinking of making a mini green house do you think higher humidity will help it grow also I am misting it everyday but I think a greenhouse would help a lot with humidity

any suggestions
By Snap Traps
It is not dying to start with so don't give up hope. See if it produces any new pitchers. If it doesn't, it probably indicates low humidity. Neps tend accumulate for a while (when conditions change) before it starts growing again. It can take months; the best thing to do now is to wait and see how it grows.

Smaller leaves don't always indicate bad health. It can mean an increase of light level which often leads to bigger pitchers :D . Try and increase the humidity if you can.
By cat1560
well I finally fixed the humidity by using a ultrasonic portable humidifier from amazon for about 40 us dollars and it helps a lot with higher humidity and now my nepenthes is growing very well :D

thanks for all the help guys

also the brand of the humidifier is air o swiss

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!