FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mktamin
I already have several VFT's, and now I'm addicted to carvivorous plants :D
I decided that for diversity, I should get a sundew, and I've heard that capes are the easiest to grow, so I have some questions:
Media to plant in?
Temps.?
How much sunlight?
is high humidity necessary?
Do you think it's possible for me to have one outside all year? : http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/a ... h/USCA0278
Best place to buy?
Anything else I need to know..
Thanks!
By Pat
mktamin, Cape sundews will do well in 50/50 sand/perlite. They can survive from temperatures in the 0 degrees centigrade, up to 40(tghis is what my plants have expirienced)
I grow mine in a green house that recievess full sun all day. High humidity is not neccisary. Im not sure about where to buy them ia the USE(I live in Australia) But they are very easy to grow from seed if you are interested in doing it that way. I have a small plant that I grew from seed less than a year ago that is flowering at the moment.
Hope this helps, Pat :D .
By Pat
Sorry when I said 50/50 sand perlite I meant peat/sand or pearlite.
By mktamin
ok, thank you very much! Hopefully, I'll be able to find one for sale at this year's "San Francisco Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society Annual Show and Sale". :)
By jimbob999
Hi mktamin

Ive had the same craving as you for carnivorous plants! Loved my Venus Fly Trap and wanted to explore into the world of carnivours plants so ive just bought today a Drosera Cape Alba and a Nepenthes!

Ive basically gathered that they like the same as venus fly traps so ive made a tub and put all of them together and im going to see how they get on :D

Jimbob
By sipecsus
Sundews r awesome , the only reason for high humidoty is if u want ur plant to produce a crapload of dew, but besides that they do fine outdoors, I have a couple of cape sundews in my vegitable garden and they are fine. And I have one my greenhouse with like 4 flower stalks, I'm gona have some seed very soon
By linton
sipecsus wrote: And I have one my greenhouse with like 4 flower stalks, I'm gona have some seed very soon
Don't forget that you can sell or trade your seed on this site by posting under the "seed bank" header. Good luck with your seed.
By Pat
Hey jimbob999, Nepenthes require quite different growing conditions compared to vft's and sundew's. I suggest you do a bit of reasearch on the subject of cultivation if you want your plant to do its best.
Pat.
By sipecsus
im gona give some away only 2 flytrapcare members, i knoe adam , and allen666 wanted some but it will b first come first serve!
By Anrich
Ahoy!!
The cape sundew...
Well, they grow wild in south africa and I have found sundews in a wood outside my town that catches birds.
I mean it !! They stand a foot high!!!
so I have examined some of their wild conditions and have found:
1: not so barren soil( strangely) Very sandy ( Alot of red soil high in ferros metals) with a little plant material.
2: spring water!!!! see these plants grow in the entrance of a small cave that has a faint treacle of spring water flowing out of it.
3: 8 hours full sunlight!!!
4:winter temp. 0-11c summer temp. 15-36c
And if anyone wondered the glue on a sundew tasts like a sugary flowery bug juice. and yes i touched the big dew and was stuck!!! had to snip of the tentical so not to damage the whole plant in my strugle for life and death!!
Ahoy!!!
By Redneck_Angel
sipecsus wrote:im gona give some away only 2 flytrapcare members, i knoe adam , and allen666 wanted some but it will b first come first serve!
Be sure to put up a post about it when they're ready, because I know I for sure would love some Sundew seeds! :mrgreen:
By sipecsus
Forsure I'll let u guys know when their ready
By afh928
i wouldnt mind a shot at them either, i don't think the ones i have now are gonna germinate and i would hate to have wasted all this time. Let me know!

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!