FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By grant
My sundew is infested with these bugs!!! There are a whole bunch of tiny dark bugs all over the leaves of my sundew. My camera cant capture the baby bugs that well, but they are pretty small. But I think the other pic is what they are when they are full grown. :x :x

Should I use a insecticide? and what kind?

ps - sorry the light is so bad. But I just noticed the tiny bugs all over the leaves this evening...
Attachments:
IMG_3736.JPG
IMG_3736.JPG (32 KiB) Viewed 4835 times
IMG_3735.JPG
IMG_3735.JPG (31.42 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
By grant
Matt wrote:Sorry, but I've never seen those bugs. I'm guessing orthenex would probably take care of them, but it would probably be a good idea to know what they are and if they're even harmful to the plant.
If you look in the second picture, I have been noticing that the leaves are curling a tiny bit. I wonder if they are harming it? And it is flowering right now too... that might be a cause for that too. Either way, those bugs have been have starting to fly around my house :x :?
By Matt
Oh, they fly? They might be fungus gnats then. If so, they aren't any harm.
grant wrote:If you look in the second picture, I have been noticing that the leaves are curling a tiny bit.
Yeah, I think capensis leaves curl up naturally as they age. I only have one old capensis and it's leaves do that.
By italo.americano
Hi Grant,

Like Matt said orthenex should take care of it.

Ever since I put my plants outside this summer, I spray once a week with Ortho orthenex. Even if the current bugs on your plant aren't harming it, orthenex is systemic protecting your plants from other insects like aphids and spider mites.

Good luck Grant and please let us know how it turns out?

Your buddy,

Giovanni
By Budukai
So why isn't the sundew eating these jokers, aren't they getting stuck on the dew traps?
By Steve_D
If they're fungus gnats, they won't harm the sundew and the sundew can eat them. They hatch from tiny larvae that live in various growing mediums. The larvae aren't harmful either (at least no one including myself seems to think they are).

Last year I had a major infestation of fungus gnats in the evergreen-bark medium of one of my orchids. When the larvae began to hatch, I placed my sundews all around the orchid and they feasted on the fungus gnats.
By grant
Thanks guys :)

Yeah, I think the larvae is too small for the sudew. But once they get big enough to start flying, it's a lot easier for my sundew to eat them. I believe these bugs came from a Miracle Grow bag i bought a while ago. I thought I got rid of them by repotting, but I guess not... I didn't mind before, because their were never a whole lot of them. But now it looks like it's getting out of control.

Alright, well I will try to find some Orthor orthenex today. talk to you guys later
By Steve_D
grant wrote:Alright, well I will try to find some Orthor orthenex today. talk to you guys later

Be aware that sundews (Drosera capensis for sure) are sensitive to acephate, the active insecticide ingredient in Orthenex, so spray a little lightly. You will probably notice that the dew will dry up in response, but should return in a few days to a week or two. One of my D. capensis "sulked" for 3 weeks before putting out dew again.

Steve

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!