FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By bigred
I ordered this pink venus from flytraps.com (cooks carnivores). Since my initial lighting was weak, even my red dragons have pure green leafs with just a bit of red on the traps. So I'm just now starting to see some color since I doubled my lighting.

So my pink venus when I received it looked exactly like the first image from the store on here, but on the store I actually bought it from, their pink venus is shown as image 2. What the hell is a pink venus then? Those are 2 completely different looking plants and the 2nd image looks awesome. Just wondering if they look like both at different times.Two stores are advertising them differently (here and cooks carnivores), and I got one that looks like the other stores advertisement(bought from cooks, looks like FTS).

By DTDream18
Ive got 10 Pink Venus VFT's. Four that I bought from Cooks. Six from the Flytrapstore. They all resemble the photo from the Flytrapstore website. None of them look like your second photo.
By jamez
Isn't the second one from Cooks. I don't grow Pink Venus anymore but mine were like the 1st picture, I had some that looked like the 2nd picture. If you look more detailed, you will see one that looks like the 1st picture. It "may" have to do with lighting.
By Steve_D
bigred wrote: Those are 2 completely different looking plants and the 2nd image looks awesome.
Those are very small, baby plants in the second photo. The red develops more slowly than the green, so young red-leafed plants often look a lot redder, since they grow so slowly, than they will when they become larger and more mature, because when mature the leaves grow much faster and look green until some red develops.

The difference between your two photos is exactly the same color difference as is often seen between very young Red Piranha or Akai Ryu plants and older, more mature Red Piranha or Akai Ryu plants.

The Venus Flytrap clone that comes closest to looking almost all red even as an adult, in my own experience, is the appropriately named DC All Red, which Matt and I have a few of and Matt is trying to propagate in tissue culture. Even the DC All Red's leaves have a substantial amount of green when they are growing rapidly, until time and strong light develop the red coloration.
By jamez
They look about the same size to me... Some even have their first adult flower stalk. (for my plants, their first year flowering makes a very thin flower stalk.
By Steve_D
jamez wrote:Some even have their first adult flower stalk.
I didn't realize that those vertical "stakes" might be flowerstalks. If that is the case, then my own guess would be that the Venus Flytraps in the second photo are young (but mature enough to produce flowerstalks), are growing slowly (perhaps because they are putting their energy into growing the flowerstalks instead) and have been subject to a lot of either direct sunlight or red-colored artificial grow lights. That's just a guess. :)
By Matt
Under my growing conditions, Pink Venus tends to get pretty red, like the one in the photo from Cook's. I just ran out to the greenhouse and patio to snap a few shots of my plants.

The mother pot, which is on the patio, is completely covered with pollen from a nearby pine tree, so it makes the plants look a bit more yellow. But the ones in the greenhouse didn't get as much pollen on them, so you can see their color quite well.
PV1.jpg
PV1.jpg (173.52 KiB) Viewed 7992 times
PV2.jpg
PV2.jpg (181.6 KiB) Viewed 7992 times
PV3.jpg
PV3.jpg (153.94 KiB) Viewed 7992 times
Matt liked this
By Steve_D
To illustrate what I mentioned about color differences between young plants and more mature plants grown under exactly the same conditions, here's a photo I just took of two pots of Red Piranha Flytraps.
young-and-mature-color-difference.jpg
young-and-mature-color-difference.jpg (70.85 KiB) Viewed 7981 times
I'm guessing that Matt's Pink Venus Flytraps are so red maybe because they have been growing slowly because of unseasonably cool weather until recently. That's just a guess though, and color in Venus Flytraps sometimes seems as mysterious as it is variable. :P
By David F
Those are some nice looking pinks though, especially the ones with that color, makes me drull slightly. :p
By BradR
Matt:
Those are beautiful Pink Venus plants. They really look vivid pink like the name suggests. The ones I have seem to be more of a burgundy color like Red Dragon. I guess it all depends on the growing environment.
If you are coming to Oakland next weekend, could you bring some of those? I would like to buy some.

Brad
By bigred
Steve, could it be that either
1: your mature plants are almost all closed/eating and as some have said that once a trap eats, it doesn't get color afterwards.

2. your plant is simply eating too much that it isn't getting color. I see that the smaller one has plenty of open, never eaten traps. Your mature one has almost all closed or already eaten traps.

3. your matures are obviously more than one plant at this point, could they be harming each other, much like a weed that takes away and harms other plants.

Never had a red pirhanna that big so l have no idea. Do you guys ever divide plants at FTS or just let the grow until sold?
By Steve_D
bigred wrote:mature plants are almost all closed/eating and as some have said that once a trap eats, it doesn't get color afterwards.
That's a good point, but the red in the leaves (anthocyanin dye) is not necessarily related to the red that forms inside the traps, the latter of which does seem to be affected by what you mention (the color stops developing when the trap closes and for at least a while after it opens again, or so it seems).
bigred wrote:your matures are obviously more than one plant at this point, could they be harming each other, much like a weed that takes away and harms other plants.
That's another good point. The many leaves on several divisions or plants growing so close together shade each other, lessening the amount of light that hits the leaves and encourages them to develop the anthocyanin red color.
bigred wrote:Do you guys ever divide plants at FTS or just let the grow until sold?
A large portion of our time is spent dividing and repotting plants in all stages of growth from sterile tissue culture containers to recently deflasked baby plants to young plants grown together in a pot for a while, to mature plants that have divided. If I uproot a Flytrap to ship and it has a division (secondary plant) that clings fairly well to the "mother" plant, I often just go ahead and ship that division with the plant.

Thanks for your observations, comments and questions. :)
By Matt
BradR wrote:Those are beautiful Pink Venus plants.
Thanks Brad! Though it's a bit slower growing and doesn't get to a huge size, Pink Venus really is a nice clone.
BradR wrote:If you are coming to Oakland next weekend, could you bring some of those? I would like to buy some.
Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'm going to make it down next weekend. I had planned to back in April, but this spring has been so delayed that I'm just not sure that it's worth the trip for me to come down. Most of my plants didn't really start putting out much growth until very recently and with the cool damp weather, I didn't spend much time repotting this spring. I'm still debating though. I have a lot of nice Heliamphora and quite a few Dionaea clones that are looking pretty good. The problem is that most of them are potted multiple plants per pot (like the Pink Venus in the photos) and I didn't have time this spring to repot them to get them ready for individual sale.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!