FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By parker679
Here are some pics of my guys now that dormancy has broken.

This is the guy that started it all. Picked it up from lowes a few years ago and it kick started my hobby.

Here is my other typical that I got in a death cube. This one clumped up quickly when I planted it the year before last, it clearly needs some dividing.

Here is my Akai Ryu, or so said the ebay seller. Either way it's a very nice plant. Not heavy on the trap production but great color. The tiny trap in the background is actually a baby that needs dividing. The baby showed up last growing season, it's amazing the difference in size before and after dormancy on those baby plants.

Here is a mass of Drosera, this stuff grows like a weed. All throughout the growing season there are tiny plants forming, I pull most of them and throw them in a window box I have.

Here is S. Doodlebug, I hate the name but the plant looks nice. Thought I had a better pic but this will have to do for now.

Here is S. leucophylla. One of my favorite pitchers though when it get's stormy here the wind tends to knock over the pitchers.

Here is a zoomed out shot of the whole pot. The pot is slightly off level which is why there is that dark area in the bottom right section where the peat settles after the heavy rains.

Here are a couple more, these are in individual pots in a tray of water. This Sarr. is supposed to be a Tarnok though I won't know for sure until it flowers. It has a small flower stalk coming in so my fingers are crossed, though it has been taking a while for the flower to grow, much longer than the other Sarr's.

This is a purpurea which I personally like a lot since they are one of the few pitchers that hold a significant amount of water.

And as a bonus, when dormancy broke this year I found around 6-8 baby pitcher coming up. Not 100% sure yet but I think they are from the S. doodlebug. Here you can also see more Drosera coming up.

parker679, parker679 liked this
By parker679
Matt wrote:Whoa! Those plants are months ahead of mine! They look great...I might need to move to the southeast US someday :)

Thanks for sharing the photos!

I think it's a combination of the mild winter we had here plus the early spring weather.
By Matt
I just looked at the photos again. I can't believe how far along the Sarracenia are. Most of mine (other than the S. flavas) still don't have their fist pitchers yet. That S. leucophylla looks like it's in mid-season form!
By dantt99
Haha amazing plants, those VFT's are pretty massive for April :D
By parker679
dantt99 wrote:Haha amazing plants, those VFT's are pretty massive for April :D
Yeah, this winter we didn't get as many sub-freezing nights so I guess the plants didn't go as dormant as they have in the past. Growth definitely slowed and was all prostrate but it was still growing. Then it got warmer earlier than usual so they took right off. Plus each "plant" you see is really a cluster of several plants which makes it look more impressive.
Matt wrote:I just looked at the photos again. I can't believe how far along the Sarracenia are. Most of mine (other than the S. flavas) still don't have their fist pitchers yet. That S. leucophylla looks like it's in mid-season form!
The Sarracenia surprised me too. I usually don't get traps that tall until later in the season.

It's a perk of living in the Florida panhandle I guess. I can't grow some of the tropical plants I would want, like bananas, but it's a perfect place to grow temperate CP's outside year round.
parker679 liked this
By CPcaregiver
Ohh,I would give the whole of my collection for one of those plants!! :o
Good grief,I pity mine big time now. :cry:
By parker679
CPcaregiver wrote:Ohh,I would give the whole of my collection for one of those plants!! :o
Good grief,I pity mine big time now. :cry:
Hey, everyone starts with something I'm sure they wish was better.

My first CP that I didn't kill was a VFT from Lowes. I took it home and got on google right away. Found sarracenia.com which gave a lot of great info. Later I stumbled across this site which is the best CP forum I've seen.

Most of the plants you see I've had for several years so they have grown and divided a lot.

If you're close enough to Tallahassee there is a local man here who grows/sells a lot of temperate species in his free time. Mostly Sarr's and typical VFT's though I've seen the occasional saw tooth. He sells to 2 local nurseries here. Everything you see other than the VFT's are plants from him.

Not trying to take business away from Matt and Steve or anything. But since he grows them outside and in an area similar to yours you don't have to worry about acclimation at all, makes things a lot easier.
By CPcaregiver
parker679 wrote: There is a local man here who grows/sells a lot of temperate species in his free time. Mostly Sarr's and typical VFT's though I've seen the occasional saw tooth. He sells to 2 local nurseries here.
Can you PM me more info on this please? :D
By Adam
Wow! Way ahead of my pitcher plants. I did bring my VFTs indoors so they are far along. 2 flowers have curled up and are ripening seed pods now. I kept my pitchers outdoors at all times of the year and they are where Matt's are.

I did bring the pitchers indoors last year to give them a head start. A few of them refused to produce new pitchers in the second half of summer as a result :/ This time they should have a more natural cycle.

Thanks for posting the pictures!
By parker679
Adam wrote:Wow! Way ahead of my pitcher plants. I did bring my VFTs indoors so they are far along. 2 flowers have curled up and are ripening seed pods now. I kept my pitchers outdoors at all times of the year and they are where Matt's are.

I did bring the pitchers indoors last year to give them a head start. A few of them refused to produce new pitchers in the second half of summer as a result :/ This time they should have a more natural cycle.

Thanks for posting the pictures!
If you look closely at the first 2 pictures you can see where I cut the flowers. In hind sight I wish I hadn't so that I could see if they would germinate naturally like the Drosera and Sarracenia do in the bog. Though after I divided the plants a few put up flower stalks, I know the rule of thumb is to cut the stalks on re-plants but I want the seed. Plus these are typicals from Lowes so I don't mind sacrificing one to the seed gods.

As far as growing them outside I do it because I'm lazy. I like plants that take a minimal amount of effort and look nice. I am fortunate that where I live is perfect for temperate CP's.
By wiki234
you got that at lowes and its PERECT im so jealous, i got one from lowes and it looks bad (small traps, not many traps 2-3) i want one that perfect so bad but whenever i go to lowes they either dont have it or they do but they look terrbile -_-
By parker679
@wiki234: The plants I got at Lowes I've had for a few years. Trust me, they looked like your standard small deathcube plant when I got them.

@Dionae: For whatever reason he's particular to that aloe plant in the terracotta colored pot. I think because it's the easiest for him to try and pronounce and the spines on the edges give it a fun texture.
By pieguy452
Nice setup, parker! It's a great combination of carnivorous plants and it looks like they are doing very well :)
Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!