FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
We (FlytrapStore) have recently found out that there are several genetically distinct flytraps circulating under the name 'Dracula'. The most popular and well-known plant being the one bred and named by Trev Cox. However, there is also another clone originating from an unnamed Polish grower that might have been in existence and named "Dracula" even before Trev's plant (we're not sure of the timeline). It turns out that the plant we (FlytrapStore) obtained, propagated and sold as "Dracula" in 2012 and 2013 was the plant originating from the Polish grower. Photos of this plant can be seen here:

Photos of "Polish Dracula"

A photo of Trev Cox's 'Dracula' is below:

The plants are similar in many ways, but obviously genetically different. When we obtained "Dracula" (now known to be "Polish Dracula") several years ago, we were unaware that there were multiple plants circulating under the same name. As such, we assumed it to be the more well known plant from Trev Cox.

We have managed to obtain a couple of Trev Cox's 'Dracula' plants, and with any luck, we'll have it in tissue culture next spring and have some propagated by next fall (fall 2014).

As soon as we have enough propagated, our first line of business will be to offer a free plant to anyone who purchased a "Polish Dracula" from us over the last year or so with the understanding that it was Trev Cox's 'Dracula'.

Because we believe both plants to be worthy of propagation and distribution, due to their beautiful coloration and menacing appearance, our plan is to rename the first plant we obtained to "Polish Dracula" and continue selling those plants under that moniker, but also offer the soon-to-be officially registered 'Dracula' from Trev Cox in the FlytrapStore as soon as we're able to do so.
Matt, Matt, Matt and 2 others liked this
By sbrooks
Matt, you're a stand up guy. And not in a Bill Burr kinda way.
Both varieties definitely look awesome. :)
sbrooks liked this
By parker679
Crazy, good on you though Matt for trying to make things right.

The CP photo finder page has the link back to the CPUK post that started the whole thing off, interesting read.

Reminds me of the whole G16/Slack's Giant/Southwest Giant. Except in that case it was the same plant being sold under 3 different names, and to make things worse there are other genetically different plants sold as Southwest Giant.
By Matt
parker679 wrote:Reminds me of the whole G16/Slack's Giant/Southwest Giant. Except in that case it was the same plant being sold under 3 different names, and to make things worse there are other genetically different plants sold as Southwest Giant.
Yes, the Southwest Giant story is a disaster. Hopefully we can get Dracula cleaned up before something similar happens. At this point we have two genetically distinct flytraps that are both labeled Southwest Giant. I don't even know which one is the original or "real" Southwest Giant. I'm sure back in the day the SWG was a monster flytrap, but compared to the giants now, it's not really all that large (though still plenty big to be called a giant). For that reason, and because of the naming confusion and that there isn't much demand for the plant, we're probably going to stop selling Southwest Giant.
By happiness
As soon as we have enough propagated, our first line of business will be to offer a free plant to anyone who purchased a "Polish Dracula" from us over the last year or so with the understanding that it was Trev Cox's 'Dracula'.
Didn't expect to hear that! Very generous of you! :D
By ironjaws
You know what? I severely doubt that there are any more people as outstanding with the way they conduct their business as Matt, Leah and Steve.

I truly admire the customer service 8-) ; I haven't purchased a Dracula(yet) but I am positive those that did will appreciate that you guys are offering them a free real Dracula :shock: .

Truly, spot on guys. You guys rock! :D
ironjaws, ironjaws, MaxVft liked this
By Starchy
Thats very nice of you and Leah. Not that I am surprised, this is the sort of good customer service we are used to from FTS. Do you know if the Polish Dracula is from the same cross as the regular Dracula?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
By Matt
Starchy wrote:Thats very nice of you and Leah. Not that I am surprised, this is the sort of good customer service we are used to from FTS.
Thanks Starchy!
Starchy wrote:Do you know if the Polish Dracula is from the same cross as the regular Dracula?
I don't believe it is, but I don't know for sure. I've been able to find out very little about "Polish Dracula" including the original grower. My source for the plant doesn't even recall the grower's name from whom he sourced the plant, only that it was called "Dracula"...
By Kevonicus
Matt is very generous of you. Will you post a thread when "Dracula" is shippable (for those who ordered a polish dracula)?
By Matt
Kevonicus wrote:Will you post a thread when "Dracula" is shippable (for those who ordered a polish dracula)?
Yes, I'll post a thread here on the forums and try to send an email out to everyone who ordered a "Dracula" before the name was changed to "Polish Dracula". I currently have two very small specimens of Dracula. I hope that I can get it in TC by next year. They're looking too small to get into TC this year, I think.

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!