FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By uusa2000
Their is no silica sand in my area. Can I use play sand for my Venus fly trap media? Or what alternative sand can I use?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
I use Swimming Pool Filter Sand from the local BigBox building supply store. I pour some vinegar on it to test for Alkalinity; no bubbles means it's probably OK. I rinse and drain it, then check the drain water water with a TDS meter. This lets me know that there's no mineral buildup or contamination in the sand. TDS meters are available for ten bucks or so at AMAZON.

I've tried Play Sand and I don't recommend it, but that's just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By Nick
uusa2000 wrote:Their is no silica sand in my area. Can I use play sand for my Venus fly trap media? Or what alternative sand can I use?

I have heard that "play sand" can have dissolved solids in it, and there isn't a great way to find if you have a good batch or not. Silica sand/pool filter sand is good to use, but sometimes harder to find in manageable quantities (either massive bulk or nothing).
I personally have had a lot of issues trying to perfect the "standard" carnivorous plant peat/sand/perlite mix. Once I switched to NZ LFSM, things became MUCH easier for me.
By uusa2000
Nick wrote:
uusa2000 wrote:Their is no silica sand in my area. Can I use play sand for my Venus fly trap media? Or what alternative sand can I use?

I have heard that "play sand" can have dissolved solids in it, and there isn't a great way to find if you have a good batch or not. Silica sand/pool filter sand is good to use, but sometimes harder to find in manageable quantities (either massive bulk or nothing).
I personally have had a lot of issues trying to perfect the "standard" carnivorous plant peat/sand/perlite mix. Once I switched to NZ LFSM, things became MUCH easier for me.
Who is NZ and a TDS meter wouldn't help as suggested by the others?

By Nick
uusa2000 wrote:
Nick wrote:

Who is NZ and a TDS meter wouldn't help as suggested by the others?

NZ refers to New Zealand long fibered sphagnum moss. Many home and garden stores sell Chilean sphagnum, which is considered less optimal than that of NZ origin.

A TDS meter is useful so that you can monitor the amount of dissolved solids in your soil and water.

In addition to testing water before applying it to my VFTs, I also occasionally test the runoff afterwards to ensure nothing contaminated the soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By uusa2000
Nick said there isn't a great way to check the sand

By Nick
uusa2000 wrote:Nick said there isn't a great way to check the sand

I should have clarified and said that there is not a great way from simply looking at a bag marked "play sand" without much other information to determine if it is safe media to use. As stated above, there are ways to test for TDS.
By nimbulan
The problem with play sand is that it tends to be locally-sourced, so the composition is different in different areas. Some may be safe, some not. People generally do a vinegar test by submerging a small amount of sand in vinegar to see if it fizzes - the presence of acid-reactive minerals will kill CPs.

Many people use pool filter sand but I find it to be too fine myself. I've been looking at abrasive (sand blasting) companies myself. While silica sand has pretty much been eliminated as an abrasive material due to health concerns, you may be able to find some in your area and there are alternatives that work such as recycled crushed glass.
By uusa2000
boarderlib wrote:Perlite works in place of sand. And yes you can test any media for total dissolved solids. Run clean water through it and test the water. Media tested.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
I can't find clean perlite in st Louis, mo anywhere

By uusa2000
I see everything evolves around Total Dissolved Solids... So long as the TDS are low enough, I can use it? And what should the TDS be?

By uusa2000
nimbulan wrote:The problem with play sand is that it tends to be locally-sourced, so the composition is different in different areas. Some may be safe, some not. People generally do a vinegar test by submerging a small amount of sand in vinegar to see if it fizzes - the presence of acid-reactive minerals will kill CPs.

Many people use pool filter sand but I find it to be too fine myself. I've been looking at abrasive (sand blasting) companies myself. While silica sand has pretty much been eliminated as an abrasive material due to health concerns, you may be able to find some in your area and there are alternatives that work such as recycled crushed glass.
Wow I can use glass? How does that possible?

By nimbulan
Glass pool filter or blasting sand is made from recycled glass bottles. Most glass is mostly made out of silica sand and is just as chemically inert so it's perfectly safe for CPs. I just bought some more today and luckily managed to find a coarser grade than I was using before.

By boarderlib
uusa2000 wrote:
boarderlib wrote:Perlite works in place of sand. And yes you can test any media for total dissolved solids. Run clean water through it and test the water. Media tested.

I can't find clean perlite in st Louis, mo anywhere

Have you checked local garden centers? I find it hard to believe that you can't locally source either silica sand or perlite. Lowe's/Home Depot are not garden centers despite what most people think.

Try ordering it if you can't find it locally.
nimbulan wrote:Glass pool filter or blasting sand is made from recycled glass bottles. Most glass is mostly made out of silica sand and is just as chemically inert so it's perfectly safe for CPs. I just bought some more today and luckily managed to find a coarser grade than I was using before.

As nimbulan stated sand blasting media is not sand, despite what the name says. That's why anyone who runs a sand blaster needs to wear the correct PPE, because glass oxide will tear your lungs up.

By uusa2000
Im not familiar with garden centers. I'll just order premixed from fts

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!