FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By VenusPhoenix
Hi everyone i recently bought a really green pitcher plant and im trying to grow it outside in southern California giving it full sun and distilled water and its been 100 degress+ last couple days misting it constantly

When i first bought it

And now

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
By Benurmanii
No need to mist, it should handle 100+ degree weather just fine. Just keep a bit of water in the pitchers, as they are designed to fill with rain. Always keep water in the tray too since the pot is small and will dry quickly.
By steve booth
You will probably find that it will burn after you put it outside unless you acclimate it, as in all probability and looking at its colour it hasnt seen much direct sunlight as yet. Dont let it worry you the burnt stuff will die off and be replaced with new redder more colourful leaves.
Spraying it in full sun wont help I'm afraid, and they dont need high humidity levels particularly, its local micro-climate should be sufficient if you keep water in your tray.

Cheers
Steve
By VenusPhoenix
steve booth wrote:You will probably find that it will burn after you put it outside unless you acclimate it, as in all probability and looking at its colour it hasnt seen much direct sunlight as yet. Dont let it worry you the burnt stuff will die off and be replaced with new redder more colourful leaves.
Spraying it in full sun wont help I'm afraid, and they dont need high humidity levels particularly, its local micro-climate should be sufficient if you keep water in your tray.

Cheers
Steve
Thank you soo much this is going to be an interesting project for my son and me. Does anybody know how long does it take for sarracinna to grow new pitchers?

By SerMuncherIV
VenusPhoenix wrote:Thank you soo much this is going to be an interesting project for my son and me. Does anybody know how long does it take for sarracinna to grow new pitchers?
Depends on the species but your S. purpurea should show new growth within a month once it adjusts and it's kept happy. Just don't let it dry out in that tiny pot and you should be good to go.
By VenusPhoenix
Thank you so much for the info much needed yeah i wish they would sell pitcher plants in a bigger pot to start with ya know kidda makes it a little discouraging

By AaaaNinja
VenusPhoenix wrote:Thank you so much for the info much needed yeah i wish they would sell pitcher plants in a bigger pot to start with ya know kidda makes it a little discouraging

Also don't be too worried if it doesn't get some color in it either. Just like with other sarracenia, there are green varieties too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
By VenusPhoenix
Oh ok that makes sense im going to see how good i can take care of this one then imma buy more(:

By VenusPhoenix
steve booth wrote:You will probably find that it will burn after you put it outside unless you acclimate it, as in all probability and looking at its colour it hasnt seen much direct sunlight as yet. Dont let it worry you the burnt stuff will die off and be replaced with new redder more colourful leaves.

Cheers
Steve
What if all the pitchers brown before new pitchers start growing?

By steve booth
That does sometimes occur but dont worry as long as the soil doesnt dry out it will start to produce new leaves that are tolerant to the sun within a week or so.
Cheers
Steve
By tommyr
I'll also note that these will need a winter dormancy period.
By AaaaNinja
tommyr wrote:I'll also note that these will need a winter dormancy period.
If you want a purpurea that is able to grow in climates where it would be hard to provide dormancy, look for something called Sarracenia purpurea subsp. venosa.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!