FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Raistlarn
Hi all. My Pinguicula moranensis I bought from California Carnivores is starting to flower, and I wanted to see if I can pollinate it so I could get some seeds. So I have some questions: is the P. moranensis that CA Carnivores sells self fertile? Also does the pollen form after the flower opens or before?
By Shadowtski
I self pollinated my P. moranensis f "Vera Paz" and it produced one seed. The second flower got self pollinated daily for several days. Its ovary is swelling but it's not ready yet.

The moral of the story is: if you're a Ping rookie like me, stick to asexual propagation.

Good growing,
Mike
By Grey
Some Mexican Pinguicula are a bit hit and miss when it comes to self-pollination; you may get some seeds that turn out to be duds, or none at all. It has been done successfully and is possible with many species and hybrids, so I think it's entirely possible for you to do it, just don't take it as a sign as to your growing skills if you don't get much/any seeds from a successful attempt. :-) It's more likely to be the plant itself.

If the plant produces any pollen at all, it will be a couple of days after the flower opens, so it's worth giving it a day then checking regularly.
By xr280xr
Yeah, my mexican ping is flowering and it didn't get any pollen until 3 or 4 days after first opening.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!