Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
Bob Beer wrote:
tannerm wrote:
Assuming it gets better? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah. Actually I wonder what conditions he's growing his plants under. They seem healthy and well-grown but not colored up very much. And they seem to be always in summer growth even now. My cyclosecta was the same when I got it, very green without a hint of purple. I know he's doing tissue culture but maybe then growing them on with 24-hour; somewhat low lighting?

I have no clue. The leaves didn't seem very happy whatever he's doing - hardy, but not thriving. Still no dew on it :/

By Bob Beer
tannerm wrote:
Bob Beer wrote:
tannerm wrote:
Assuming it gets better? Image

Oh yeah. Actually I wonder what conditions he's growing his plants under. They seem healthy and well-grown but not colored up very much. And they seem to be always in summer growth even now. My cyclosecta was the same when I got it, very green without a hint of purple. I know he's doing tissue culture but maybe then growing them on with 24-hour; somewhat low lighting?

I have no clue. The leaves didn't seem very happy whatever he's doing - hardy, but not thriving. Still no dew on it :/

It's not quite as pronounced as it is on some species but it will come.

By tannerm
Bob Beer wrote:
tannerm wrote:
Bob Beer wrote: Oh yeah. Actually I wonder what conditions he's growing his plants under. They seem healthy and well-grown but not colored up very much. And they seem to be always in summer growth even now. My cyclosecta was the same when I got it, very green without a hint of purple. I know he's doing tissue culture but maybe then growing them on with 24-hour; somewhat low lighting?

Does yours have a good amount of dew?

By Bob Beer
tannerm wrote:
Bob Beer wrote:
tannerm wrote: I have no clue. The leaves didn't seem very happy whatever he's doing - hardy, but not thriving. Still no dew on it :/

When it's in summer mode it's quite effective.

By tannerm
Bob Beer wrote:
tannerm wrote:
Bob Beer wrote: It's not quite as pronounced as it is on some species but it will come.

When it's in summer mode it's quite effective.

I'll do an experiment and try to keep mine in "summer mode" year round (though I do plan on matching my light cycle to that of the sun's).

By Bob Beer
Last fall, Mine had gone into winter mode, when my digital timer failed and unbeknownst to me, the light was burning 24 hours a day for almost 2 weeks. I was gone for over a week of that time. The emerged from winter mode and started going carnivorous again. I took lots of leaf pullings. :-) but I did take one of my small ones into the shop I work at, and put it under lights there for a much longer photoperiod (17 hrs) and higher temperatures. It's been over two weeks and still no sign of carnivorous leaves. So the whole winter or summer thing is still a little bit of a mystery to me.

By tannerm
Bob Beer wrote:Last fall, Mine had gone into winter mode, when my digital timer failed and unbeknownst to me, the light was burning 24 hours a day for almost 2 weeks. I was gone for over a week of that time. The emerged from winter mode and started going carnivorous again. I took lots of leaf pullings. :-) but I did take one of my small ones into the shop I work at, and put it under lights there for a much longer photoperiod (17 hrs) and higher temperatures. It's been over two weeks and still no sign of carnivorous leaves. So the whole winter or summer thing is still a little bit of a mystery to me.

I think it might have to do more with light intensity. Compare the spectrum of my led Image

Vs 1 typical 54w T5 bulb

By Bob Beer
Benurmanii wrote:Cyclosecta seeks sensitive to weird environmental changes, causing it to go into succulent mode for a while. I use only T5s, and mine has transitioned seasons just fine.
I'd love to know what they are. I thought maybe temperature but that hasn't seemed to do It yet. Amount of water hasn't. Longer photoperiod, closer proximity to the bulbs...nope. The spectrum certainly didn't change. But in nature it's would, while thy would never see anything close to a 17 hour day.

By Benurmanii
Bob Beer wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:Cyclosecta seeks sensitive to weird environmental changes, causing it to go into succulent mode for a while. I use only T5s, and mine has transitioned seasons just fine.
I'd love to know what they are. I thought maybe temperature but that hasn't seemed to do It yet. Amount of water hasn't. Longer photoperiod, closer proximity to the bulbs...nope. The spectrum certainly didn't change. But in nature it's would, while thy would never see anything close to a 17 hour day.

When I got my cyclosectas from a friend in March, they went into succulent mode until August. Did not mater where I put them, nor how wet I kept them. They just need a good dose of patience if they do this.
By Bhart90
Yea mine is temperamental for sure.

It was going carnivorous until I moved it a bit now it's escentially frozen in its current state
By Bhart90
Everyone can be happy but ME hahaha, Tan this is fun. I'm practically praying to mine hahaha!
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!