FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
I think I may be missing something simple. I've been buying a lot of Pings lately. A lot of them arrive bare root and have the outer leaves curled under. So, I've got a plant with maybe 1/2" roots and a ring of springy leaves keeping it 1" off the ground. There's no way that simply pushing the roots into the soil will stay that way - the springy leaves make it pop up again. I've tried to soak the plant (maybe not long enough?) to make the leaves flatten out but it hasn't helped. So far, the only way I've been able to keep the roots in the soil is to remove or clip the springy leaves. There's got to be a better way, right? Anybody know it?

Thanks.
By Benurmanii
I always just do the best I can to plant the roots in the media. Sometimes I try to shove some media under the leaves and around the roots. If they are Mexican Pinguicula, they won't really need them too badly, they will eventually get some under the soil.
Benurmanii liked this
By Salia
I take off some of the outer leaves and stuff some media under the ping. The loose leaves get used for propagation.
Salia liked this
By Bhart90
Trust me, it will find it's way.

Nothing is ever perfect just receiving a new plant.if anything make a mound, with a spit in middle to put it, and sort of push the top of the hill, covering the roots, use something like tweezers to get a better angle.

Takes some finness, post some pics when there I please!
Bhart90 liked this
By evenwind
So I guess I'll continue doing what I've been doing. I was really hoping there was a better way. Thanks, all.
By Grey
I can relate to what you mean, evenwind, as this has happened to me so many times! I usually create a little dip where the roots are going and gently press the plant down into place, all the while trying to get soil over the roots. Bit fiddly, really.
Grey liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!