FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Fly Trap Hunter
Peat Bogs and wetlands absorb carbon dioxide(CO2) and carbon monoxide(NO2) from the air but release CO2 and NO2 when peat bogs and wetlands are disturbed. Strangely, these peat bogs that serve as natural air filters have been mostly undisturbed for millions of years right up until we decided to really like to live along a pristine coastline. We are losing wetlands at a rate of a few hundred thousand acres per year as new houses and businesses are built along the coast(American population any way). Wilmington NC has grown from 80,000 residents to over 200,000 since 2005. or doubled in 10 years.
Note: this is a quick rant and I will provide more links to my assertions and stats later. And of course, or carnivorous plants live in the peat bogs.

Peat wetlands have been around for millions of year and are CO2 sink holes. Peat wetlands have been absorbing CO2 the whole time. They work to clean our air. They have absorbed the CO2 and it has sunk into the peat and been stored. Since they hold CO2, they can and do put out the same emissions as car exhaust when they are drained or disturbed by building. They can potentially put out as much or more CO2 as vehicle exhaust if the peat wetlands are radically disturbed. :o Thus, dramatically increasing green house gases and global warming.

There is a lot of bulldozing going on around here. Take out all the trees. Bring in lots of soil and level it all. Build some drainage ponds and ditches and then pave it. What was there for millions of years now has a new supermarket and gas station. I just saw the dozing of a nice little bog that is now a drainage hole for a supermarket and it just really sucks.

There are things we can still do to help save the wetlands, but I don't know what yet. Awareness is always the first step.

People have the stickers "No Wetlands No Seafood" They should read "No Wetlands, No Air To Breath"

http://www.peatsociety.org/peatlands-an ... ate-change
By Fly Trap Hunter
We have more vfts in NC and SC because we have more Pocosins than any other states. pocosins are essentially peat sand clay bogs. They are in long leaf pine Forests and the water is highly acidic, too acidic to support life. Except for ferns lichen moss and carnivorous plants. VFTs grow in Pocosins. However, they are endangered. This article states that 2/3 of all pocosins had been altered between 1962 and 1979. What has happened since then? At least there have been efforts to conserve some of the Pocosins: Green Swamp Preserve, Croatan National park, Holly Shelter and much more land.

http://www.ncpedia.org/pocosins
By jurious26
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:Peat Bogs and wetlands absorb carbon dioxide(CO2) and carbon monoxide(NO2) from the air but release CO2 and NO2 when peat bogs and wetlands are disturbed. Strangely, these peat bogs that serve as natural air filters have been mostly undisturbed for millions of years right up until we decided to really like to live along a pristine coastline. We are losing wetlands at a rate of a few hundred thousand acres per year as new houses and businesses are built along the coast(American population any way). Wilmington NC has grown from 80,000 residents to over 200,000 since 2005. or doubled in 10 years.
Note: this is a quick rant and I will provide more links to my assertions and stats later. And of course, or carnivorous plants live in the peat bogs.

Peat wetlands have been around for millions of year and are CO2 sink holes. Peat wetlands have been absorbing CO2 the whole time. They work to clean our air. They have absorbed the CO2 and it has sunk into the peat and been stored. Since they hold CO2, they can and do put out the same emissions as car exhaust when they are drained or disturbed by building. They can potentially put out as much or more CO2 as vehicle exhaust if the peat wetlands are radically disturbed. :o Thus, dramatically increasing green house gases and global warming.

There is a lot of bulldozing going on around here. Take out all the trees. Bring in lots of soil and level it all. Build some drainage ponds and ditches and then pave it. What was there for millions of years now has a new supermarket and gas station. I just saw the dozing of a nice little bog that is now a drainage hole for a supermarket and it just really sucks.

There are things we can still do to help save the wetlands, but I don't know what yet. Awareness is always the first step.

People have the stickers "No Wetlands No Seafood" They should read "No Wetlands, No Air To Breath"

I have a different theory, you probably know that millions of years ago when dinos walked the earth the oxygen levels were 50% higher than nowadays.

This is when the the earth was covered with forests and massive animals could exist thanks to the higher oxygen levels. Peat and oil are made of those creatures remains, the remains, as every bio mass does, have high levels of carbon.
CO2 is a bye product of humanity using oil and peat. CO2 is combination of O2, oxygen, and carbon.

All plants use CO2 and water(H20) to produce oxygen, so as CO2 level in the air will increase I believe it will result in more bio mass on earth, especially more plants. whom, it turn, will release more oxygen and the atmosphere will get far better in terms of supporting life on earth.
plants and animals in the nature actually prefer warm climate as we can see how rich is life in the rainforests, and how the antarctic and arctic climate is hostile to the magority of creatures. so this wat it could be good thing, too, in case the global warming theory is true.

More CO2 ==> More plants ==> More oxygen(O2) ==> UV rays turn some of the O2 to O3 ==> Ozone depletion is gone ==> Less deserts better enviroment and overall more life on earth.

Im not a scientist but still, this is the way I see it.
sorry my english is not good.
By Fly Trap Hunter
jurious26 wrote:
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:Peat Bogs and wetlands absorb carbon dioxide(CO2) and carbon monoxide(NO2) from the air but release CO2 and NO2 when peat bogs and wetlands are disturbed. Strangely, these peat bogs that serve as natural air filters have been mostly undisturbed for millions of years right up until we decided to really like to live along a pristine coastline. We are losing wetlands at a rate of a few hundred thousand acres per year as new houses and businesses are built along the coast(American population any way). Wilmington NC has grown from 80,000 residents to over 200,000 since 2005. or doubled in 10 years.

I have a different theory, you probably know that millions of years ago when dinos walked the earth the oxygen levels were 50% higher than nowadays.

This is when the the earth was covered with forests and massive animals could exist thanks to the higher oxygen levels. Peat and oil are made of those creatures remains, the remains, as every bio mass does, have high levels of carbon.
CO2 is a bye product of humanity using oil and peat. CO2 is combination of O2, oxygen, and carbon.

All plants use CO2 and water(H20) to produce oxygen, so as CO2 level in the air will increase I believe it will result in more bio mass on earth, especially more plants. whom, it turn, will release more oxygen and the atmosphere will get far better in terms of supporting life on earth.
plants and animals in the nature actually prefer warm climate as we can see how rich is life in the rainforests, and how the antarctic and arctic climate is hostile to the magority of creatures. so this wat it could be good thing, too, in case the global warming theory is true.

More CO2 ==> More plants ==> More oxygen(O2) ==> UV rays turn some of the O2 to O3 ==> Ozone depletion is gone ==> Less deserts better enviroment and overall more life on earth.

jurious26 wrote:

do you have any scientific proof to back up your theory? your English is fine.
Fly Trap Hunter liked this
By jurious26
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:do you have any scientific proof to back up your theory? your English is fine.
No, As I said, I have no background in climate science, years ago I used to accept the global warming as undeniable truth,

but over time after reading about the sobject I developed my own opinion. I might be wrong, yet it seems like every scientist involved in the research of climate changes is either has done unreliable, questionable, research and experiments, or, in the worse case, is driven by his/her own interests and impulses.

The fact that global warming theory is so uncontroversial among the scientists is a warning sign, something feels wrong.
Then I've found that the few climate scientists who dare to question the theory were taken unseriously, and their opponent colleagues fought them and tried to suppress their criticism.

But this all is still irrelevant, despite what they did or not, I'm still using my common sense, maybe this is nothing but a conspiracy but I see no reason just to think what Im being told to.

Let the history judge my actions/beliefs.
I dont think I should support the harvest of moss when there will be left from it just a litte, so it wont become extinct,
but that's comletely different reason, isn't it?
Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!