FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By gsm_dealer08
Hello everybody! My name is George and I live in London. I owned a Drosera spatulata and it kind of died on me last week. I took it indoors ever since October and it was doing fine since a couple of weeks ago when it started going brown and slowly died. I just ordered myself a Drosera x Beleziana and I need some advice on how to deal with it for the winter. The plant comes from the Czech Republic and it will probably arrive at the end of January. The current temperature in the UK is about 6c during the day and can drop to -4 during the night. What do I do with it when it arrives? Do I leave it outside or take it in? I am a total newbie at this. Sorry if this has been answered before, there are so many variations of the plant, it got me a bit confused and i'm trying not to get this one killed.
By Sakaaaaa
Well, first of all, D. Bezeliana is a hybrid of Intermedia and Rotundifolia so you will need to give it dormancy for sure. I guess you can leave it outside if the temperatures are not super cold. Once it arrives, unpack, and plant it in the proper media (I use full sphagnum for drosera). When it arrives, it might not have any dew, do not worry, new leaves will have dew. Most drosera like it wet, you can use the tray method, which involves putting the pot in a tray of water. Use rain or distilled water. Feed it either crushed beta pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, or any insect that fits in the trap. Drosera need lots of sun, so give it lots of full sun!

I, however, never had any experience with Bezeliana, Intermedia, or Rotundifolia, and I live in the tropics so I have no experience whatsoever in growing drosera in temperate climates.
By gsm_dealer08
Thank you for the advice! The previous one was in a peat and perlite soil mix. I also have a fly trap mix of peat and sand. The spatulata had some dew after a couple of days but as soon as winter came and the sun was gone (very little sunshine during winter here) it started drying up. Hopefully this one will do better since it is more suitable for this environment.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!