FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By xr280xr
Can you tell me the dry weight of either the 75 or 294 in³ the NZ LFS? Do you know if it comes from a sustainable source?
By nimbulan
I believe those two sizes should weigh approximately 15g, and 62g. The dried moss is extremely light. I bought a 40L package which is often sold as 500g. The brand I bought, Spagmoss, is supposed to be farmed sustainably though I can't comment on other brands.
By xr280xr
Thanks for your input nimbulan. I'm looking for an exact number for the FTS product. Based on the description's statement that the large one is enough for 12 regular FTS pots (which I think are the small plastic cup/pots?) I think it must weigh more than that. Better-gro packs a little more than 400 g into their 190 in³ block. But measurements in units of volume are all subject to the density, which is extremely variable w/ sphagnum moss. 1 L could be 10 g or 500 g. I bought the small FTS one a long time ago and remember it being packed in the box pretty well but not extremely compressed like a Spagmoss block.
By Matt
xr280xr wrote:Can you tell me the dry weight of either the 75 or 294 in³ the NZ LFS?
Sorry, but I have no idea. I could weigh the box before and after packing it next time to find out.
xr280xr wrote:Do you know if it comes from a sustainable source?
It is a Besgrow product and this is a quote from their website:
A contraction of Best and Grow; Besgrow stands for high quality products produced from renewable resources in a sustainable way. The Besgrow range of products reflects the strong environmental focus of the Group. - See more at: http://besgrow.com/Home/About/lg/en#sth ... 2s2Ao.dpuf
So yeah, I guess so :)
By xr280xr
Thanks, Matt.
Matt wrote: I could weigh the box before and after packing it next time to find out.
That would be helpful if you can. Otherwise do you know the volume of the small FTS pots it says the large fills 12 of? I'm just trying to figure out how many of my pots it would fill/price per potted cu. in. I'm assuming the 294 cu. in. is the dry volume and once wet and potted, it's less than 294, or am I wrong on that?
By Matt
xr280xr wrote:Otherwise do you know the volume of the small FTS pots it says the large fills 12 of?
I don't know it off the top of my head in terms of cubic inches, but they are 12 ounces. There might be a converter somewhere online that could tell you what that translates to in cubic inches?
xr280xr wrote:I'm assuming the 294 cu. in. is the dry volume and once wet and potted, it's less than 294, or am I wrong on that?
I think it actually increases in volume when its wet. At the very least, I would say that the volume of wet sphagnum is the same as dry sphagnum. But I'm pretty sure it's more voluminous when wet.
By xr280xr
Matt wrote: I think it actually increases in volume when its wet. At the very least, I would say that the volume of wet sphagnum is the same as dry sphagnum. But I'm pretty sure it's more voluminous when wet.
I guess it depends on how much air there is to begin with. It's more rigid and springy when its dry so I think it can tend to occupy more space when dry depending on how fluffed it was when it dried. If I pack dry moss in a pot, it sinks down quite a bit after adding water. But if you hydrate a compressed dry block it grows. One thing's for sure, sphagnum is a PITA to try to measure.

Ok so the listed volume should at least equal the potted volume is what I'm hearing. 12oz is about 21.7 cu. in. so that all adds up. It said "regular" pots but the 12 oz pot is labeled "small" in the store so I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.
Fishing

I'll list them then and let you all see what you m[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!