FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Wolfraven
Hi All

Have been reading through the site and it appears I am doing everything wrong.
My flytraps are always submerged in water.
They flower once a year (I have let them)
I mildly fertilize

Funny thing is the plant is extremely healthy and continually putting out shoots and increasing in size.
One point is the traps do not seem to close much when touched. Mostly flys land on them and die.

Any comments would be appreciated. Perhaps different species?

Thanks
Wolfraven liked this
By sbrooks
I'm assuming you mean the bottom of the pot is always standing in water, and not that the Flytraps themselves are submerged?
I'm also going to assume that your plants are mature enough to handle flowering, and that you live in a warmer climate (like Zone 8 or above), where flytraps can handle sitting in water without rotting.

The water level may have something to do with the traps not closing properly, but flies landing on them and just dying without actually being trapped doesn't make sense, unless you're spraying the plants with a pesticide.
sbrooks liked this
By Matt
As Steve mentioned, you probably live in an area that is a little more forgiving in terms of care techniques.

Also, if you could upload some photos of your plants, we might be able to better help determine the reason the traps aren't functioning properly.
By Fly Trap Hunter
Matt wrote:As Steve mentioned, you probably live in an area that is a little more forgiving in terms of care techniques.

Also, if you could upload some photos of your plants, we might be able to better help determine the reason the traps aren't functioning properly.
A picture would be most helpful. The jury is still out.
By Wolfraven
Hi all

Thanks for the responses
Here is a pic
BTW I live in New Zealand which is quite cool
Attachments:
Here are pics. BTW I live in New Zealand. Quite cool climate
Here are pics. BTW I live in New Zealand. Quite cool climate
fly trap.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 2956 times
By mouthstofeed
well, i think you have a very special flytrap that, if propagated, will change the way carnivorous plant growers take care of their plants
By Fly Trap Hunter
since you are in New Zealand, its Spring there and we are moving into Fall and Winter here.

Most likely your plant has been dormant, thus why it isn't catching flies. Or the trap closes, digests the fly, then reopens with a flattened fly.

I wouldn't fertilize it. it gets all it needs from bugs.

Letting a vft flower is optional. Most everybody says its a choice.

That's a nice looking plant. Good luck with it.
Fly Trap Hunter liked this
By xr280xr
Wolfraven wrote:Hi all

Thanks for the responses
Here is a pic
From the pic they don't look submerged in water or necessarily "extremely" healthy because I see several deformed traps and it looks droopy.
By whatsgrowingon
xr280xr wrote:
Wolfraven wrote:Hi all

Thanks for the responses
Here is a pic
From the pic they don't look submerged in water or necessarily "extremely" healthy because I see several deformed traps and it looks droopy.
I agree, those deformed/yellowish traps are most likely that way because of the fertilizing. Fertilizing plants too much or in this case, unnecessarily, will "burn" (yellowing of leaves) them and stunt normal growth. Also, unfortunately cutting those flower stalks down will help the overall health of your plants especially since it is struggling a bit. Overall they don't look too bad though. It's not far away from being a really healty plant. Just give it lots of sun and water. Just keep in mind the roots do need oxygen so letting the soil dry a bit is good once in a while. Just don't let the soil get to dry, it should always be a little damp to the touch.
whatsgrowingon liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!