FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By jackjeckel
Hello everyone.

I found this site while doing some research on Venus Fly Traps.

I refused to own a plant or even a goldfish for the last 20+ years because I didn't need the maintenance they required as little as it may be.

Unfortunately due to a major change in life events (not for the better) I had to get a job at a big box store (the Orange one ;) )

Anywho the other day a coworker said we got a shipment of Venus Fly Traps in.

I told myself "Now that is a plant I might consider owning"

Doing some searching online I came across this site and it seems that they are high maintenance but I am going to try my best so I picked 2 up.

Looking forward to trying my best to keep them alive.

I have read the FAQ (which are great and very informative for a newb) so I think I have a chance except for the dormancy thing.

We had the perfect pot for them but I am not about to spend $20 on a clearance flower pot let alone the $30 they originally wanted. I'll have to see if it goes down to $5.

Need some pruning advice for the black leaves / traps.

Do you prune as far down as you can or just cut the trap off and leave the leaf?

By Shadowtski
Welcome to the forum!
I'm more of a Drosera guy than a Flytrap grower but My suggestion is keep your new plants outside until you get a frost then bring them in.

The shortening days and cooling temperatures will put it into dormancy. keep it under lights and a little less moist. It should stay dormant until Spring. Then move it outside and let another year commence.

Dormancy is needed for the long-term health of your plants.

Good growing,
Mike
By twitterglitter
I thought these plants were high maintenance before I started growing them. They are actually pretty easy once you get the basics down.
As for your dying traps, just leave them on the plant until they are black down to the rhizome and pull them off once they will pull off without uprooting your plant. If it takes more than a little tug leave it alone or carefully cut it off at the base if it bothers you too much.
I hope this helps and welcome to the forums. There are a lot of great people here who will help you out along the way.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
By Alan
Hi Jack!

Welcome to the forum!

I really enjoyed reading your story because I relate. I don't like taking care of pets because they can be very high maintenance. That's exactly why I got into growing CPs! Because they are very low maintenance!

I keep mine on the back patio and I don't have to worry about sun or water or anything! All I have to do is walk outside and enjoy their presence. It's very easy and handsfree. Once you start, you will see that contrary to what you said, they are low maintenance.

There's no rush to prune your plants right now. Unless your plants are wet enough that the dead leaves are rotting, pruning is really just for aesthetic reasons. Feel free to cut off whatever that is black but other than that, there's nothing to worry about.

Any plastic or synthetic material pot will do. Many of us even use plastic or styrofoam cups. I think you can wait a bit to see if the pot you want goes into clearance but there are easy alternatives. Just make sure you use the right soil when you repot ;)

Beautiful looking plants! They are on the green side but they look quite healthy!
By jackjeckel
I repotted them today.

Just waiting for the pot I want to go on clearance :D

By jackjeckel
I picked one more up today.

Hopefully this is the last of them unless they decide to give them away for free or thrown them in the compactor as is the case with a lot of left over plants and I have to rescue them :D

And the perfect pots I am waiting to go on super clearance sale.

jackjeckel liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!