FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
This is my first Nep. The few pitchers that where on it when I got it have dried up and have been removed. The firs pitch that has grown sins I've had it has finally opened. Should I feed it and with what.
By hongranp
Hungry Plants wrote:This is my first Nep. The few pitchers that where on it when I got it have dried up and have been removed. The firs pitch that has grown sins I've had it has finally opened. Should I feed it and with what.
Drop 1 Osmocote pellet in there and you are good. Search for osmocote smart release plant food. It doesn't seem much but it would help ur nep produce bigger pitchers. What nep do u have btw?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
By Hungry Plants
Hungry Plants wrote:This is my first Nep. The few pitchers that where on it when I got it have dried up and have been removed. The firs pitch that has grown sins I've had it has finally opened. Should I feed it and with what.

Not 100% sure as it was just marked Nepenthes. Best guess is ventrata.
By Sakaaaaa
You dont have to feed it. I let mine feed by itself cuz it's outside. You can feed them any insect. Mine caught a cockroach and a big assassin bug once.
Sakaaaaa liked this
By Seymour_
I feed mine freeze dried blood worms. I also will hydrate some worms with ro water and feed my vft.

Sent from my S7 Edge via Tapatalk
By Hungry Plants
Sakaaaaa wrote:You dont have to feed it. I let mine feed by itself cuz it's outside. You can feed them any insect. Mine caught a cockroach and a big assassin bug once.

It's winter here. Not much for bugs running around.
By hongranp
Hungry Plants wrote:I'm going to grab some ozmicot this weekend
Good choice! It's the hustle-free way to feed ur nep. It doesn't matter when u just got one plant, but when u got 30+ to feed, osmocote can save a lot of time. When I talked to people at California carnivores, they also said u don't need to feed more than once. Just drop 1 in when the pitcher opens and never have to worry about it. Apparently u can also feed helis and cephs with it. Good luck.

By Hungry Plants
hongranp wrote:
Hungry Plants wrote:I'm going to grab some ozmicot this weekend
Good choice! It's the hustle-free way to feed ur nep. It doesn't matter when u just got one plant, but when u got 30+ to feed, osmocote can save a lot of time. When I talked to people at California carnivores, they also said u don't need to feed more than once. Just drop 1 in when the pitcher opens and never have to worry about it. Apparently u can also feed helis and cephs with it. Good luck.

So do this like once a month to one pitcher?
By hongranp
Hungry Plants wrote:I got some Osmocote plus to day and i'm going to feed my plant. should I put a little water in the pitcher to help it dissolve.
The pitcher should have some liquid inside when it opens. The plant maintains certain liquid level in the pitchers by itself. Shine a bright light through it and you can see. However, if u just got the plant, that liquid could have been dumped out during shipping. In that case, fill the pitcher to about quarter full with RO water. I told you before to only feed each pitcher once, but recently saw a wonderful N Eddy which the owner claims to feed once every 2 weeks, 1 pellet each time. That's sounds like a lot of feeding to me, but I'll leave it up to u to decide how much u want to feed ur plant :) good luck!

By hongranp
By the way, the Osmacote pellets are slow release. So it will not 'dissolve'. It will release nutrients over time, and the shell will probably never dissolve over the life of the pitcher. If u want to show us a pic, we can tell u if u got the right one.

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!