A Comprehensive Venus Fly Trap Website

Nepenthes and coffee - yes or no

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Nepenthes and coffee - yes or no

Postby dimitar » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:08 am

Hi guys,
Recently commented coffee quite like a good fertilizer for neps. What you guys think about it? Is anyone using manure for coffee and what are your observations? I think from what I read that coffee might help Neps to grow well, but no one writes then you can Neps without fertilizing coffee thereafter. :(
Check out this treads please
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.ph ... opic=36286

and these

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa ... hread=2097

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa ... hread=3994
Daddy Billy Goat goes across the bridge, Clippety, clippety, clop. The ugly troll jumps out at him and said: Hey Billy Goat - now stop!
dimitar

Re: Nepenthes and coffee - yes or no

Postby linton » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:37 am

I used coffee on my some of my Neps around the the end of last growing season (the less precious ones!) once a month for about 3 months. It seemed to give those plants quite a boost and I noticed an increase in the size of new leaves being produced on dosed plants when compared to those that didn't get the coffee treatment.

It certainly didn't do the plants any harm, but I think that it would be easy to overdose the plants and possibly poison the growing medium and ultimately the plant.

I'd recommend trying it on spare plants to start with and try not to over do it.
"Vengeance is a dark shadow that
consumes all those that seek it"
linton
Forum Moderator

Postby snapperhead51 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:39 am

Hi Dimitar
interesting read , most of the people that have tried this or using coffee have peat based strata , me I have sphagnum moss , nothing said on how it will affect the live sphag moss , you can try it and tell me how it goes :mrgreen: I am very sceptical of its affects !!
snapperhead51
Super User

Postby nudenut » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:17 pm

i am doing a little experiment now with a mirabillis i will post a pic and take monthly ones to update.i have been reading a little about this and seen some progressive photos of neps given the coffee treatment,and it works (apparently)
nudenut

Postby dimitar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:21 pm

nudenut wrote:i am doing a little experiment now with a mirabillis i will post a pic and take monthly ones to update.i have been reading a little about this and seen some progressive photos of neps given the coffee treatment,and it works (apparently)

Good, please share pics to see what will happpen. It will be helpful.
Daddy Billy Goat goes across the bridge, Clippety, clippety, clop. The ugly troll jumps out at him and said: Hey Billy Goat - now stop!
dimitar

Postby corky » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:42 am

i have had fantastic results using coffee ,the plants got a huge boost and new leaves on small plants were up to a good three times the size of the old ones,i used it in all my plants with only positive effects
corky

Return to Tropical Pitcher Plants