FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cpman
So as fate would have it the first inhabitant of my new heli tank will not be a heli. A fellow cp grower here in Puerto Rico has a terrarium with some pretty awesome cephs and heli minor x heteradoxa along with some other plants like a bicalcarata in (90f-68f)and suprisingly all those plants are doing well together like very well XD i dont know what his black magic recipe is but I suppose it doesnt cover all species as he has to get rid of his lowii due to his terrarium getting too hot this summer. So seeing I pretty much have my setup ready for helis, he offered to sell it to me for a pretty cheap price. $60 but I managed to make a deal for a large rafflesiana cutting and $30. This will be the first plant in my terrarium which is just a 10gal as I only wanted space for a minor and a heteradoxa but for $30 I figured I might as well try my luck with this lowii. I will be picking up a finnex planted 24/7 led for lighting and have wraped the tank in aluminum foil to reflect light back in. Humidity isnt really a problem as Puerto rico is always very humid, the terrarium is about 80% during day time. Temperatures here sometimes get very hot but Ive found my living room never really goes over 82f as its shaded by a tarp and some 'trees so it isnt very high, during nights however it certainly doesnt get cold enough to satisfy a lowii without any help. Ive been experimenting to see how many ice packs it would take to get temps down to appropriate levels and have been able to get temperatures down to 61f for a few hours and then it slowly rises back to where its around at 75f in the morning. Ive timed how much time the terrarium stays colder than 75 and its about 12 hours. Thats all Ive done so far as to prepare for the plant and would like to know what other people think of this. Any suggestions from people who own this species would be greatly appreciated!
Pretty much a simple grow chamber
Pretty much a simple grow chamber
IMG_5154.JPG (471.21 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
By amriko
If you take a wet fabric sheet and cut some slits into it and place it over the fan intake, I've heard, can cool the area quite a bit
By cpman
I was finally able to pick up the lowii today but I was too late... the plant isnt going to make it, im still taking it home and trying my best but warm conditions led to root rot. The grower will give me a refund if I fail to save it.any ideas where I could find one online thats not overly expensive?
Poor thing
Poor thing
IMG_5543.JPG (887.01 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!