FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By bvalente
katya_dog1 wrote:Wow, the premium Jaws and Maroon Monster are stunning! That cup forming typical is quite good too!

Thanks! The Jaws has been my baby for a while, most of the time I keep it well fed and it has exploded with growth. Right now I am letting it stay open to allow it to color up more. I will get some better pictures soon because they don't do them justice. The interior is vivid and the fangs are starting to turn red too. The cup forming typical is pretty crazy. It has extremely vigorous growth, during peak season it was putting out 3-4 traps a week. They aren't the biggest but their color and deformations that happen make up for it. I am loving my Maroon Monster as well. The trap speed is a lot quicker than most of my others. Plus the deep intense red is beautiful when it is accented with a tint of green.
By katya_dog1
Yes, have you tried anything other than bloodworms as food? I use crushed betta pellets mixed with rainwater when I cannot find insects, but mainly I feed mine crickets. I am thinking about getting some next year and breeding them so I will have plenty for the aquarium fish and flytraps.
By bvalente
katya_dog1 wrote:Yes, have you tried anything other than bloodworms as food? I use crushed betta pellets mixed with rainwater when I cannot find insects, but mainly I feed mine crickets. I am thinking about getting some next year and breeding them so I will have plenty for the aquarium fish and flytraps.
I hadn't tried crickets but I have used flies/spiders/etc that you can find outside. They seem to like those too. Best growth I've found is if you can regularly supply spiders. Bees/wasps are also great but for whatever reason they damage my trap, when they reopen I can see grooves from where it must have tried to chew out.

As far as "artificial" feeding, I have tried meal worms without success. The trap sealed and everything just fine but for whatever reason they rotted in the trap and killed the trap. Rehydrated bloodworms work the best for me. High in nitrogen, easy to handle, and readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By katya_dog1
I have tried spiders, they do work well. However, whether I would be able to start a colony of them is another story....

I think I will get some bloodworms and try a side by side experiment with fish food in the growing season next year. I think it would be nice to know what foods that you can buy are best for feeding.

*Edit* For crickets, you have to crush their heads. That way, while a bit gruesome, the crickets cannot chew out of the traps but will still twitch. 8-)
By katya_dog1
Wow! I love the color on that jaws and the sundews! Everything else is so beautiful as well, I like looking at other peoples photos, it gives me something to attain. ;)
By bvalente
katya_dog1 wrote:Wow! I love the color on that jaws and the sundews! Everything else is so beautiful as well, I like looking at other peoples photos, it gives me something to attain. ;)
Thank you! It really is very rewarding seeing how colorful these get. Different than other plants because they grow a lot faster, whereas these require some good ol' TLC :lol: A lot of researching on here and talking with Matt learning his growing techniques and picking his brain has really helped me develop my plants.
By katya_dog1
Yeah, I plan to test out LFS next year, I just want to have pictures to show people whether it grows a lot faster or what. I know Matt already did this, but he is an expert, I'm not. :lol:
By katya_dog1
Wow! Maroon Monster is beautiful! Jaws too, love the purpurea!
katya_dog1 liked this
By bvalente
Thanks everyone! The fall colors really showing now! Last hoorah before they go into dormancy next month :lol:
By katya_dog1
Do you grow D. Indica?
By bvalente
katya_dog1 wrote:Do you grow D. Indica?
Unfortunately I don't have as many Drosera as I do VFT. I would love to start getting more varieties of them as well as Sarracenia. I have another thread on here with some plants for sale/trade and would love to start getting more variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!