FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Salute flytraps234
This not to serious but my sundew won't create dew I just want to know why, the plant is healthy and is producing more leaves
By SundewWolf
It's probably just a matter of time. What species and when did you get it?

Sundews will produce dew when they are healthy, it's not really dependent on the ambient humidity. I mean, high humidity can form superficial dew in the form of water condensation, but true "dew" is produced by the plant secreting mucus itself. Things like repotting, shipping, or change of conditions can make them loose dew. It should recover in about 2 weeks if kept in the stable, proper conditions.
By erikHIplants
SundewWolf wrote:It's probably just a matter of time. What species and when did you get it?

Sundews will produce dew when they are healthy, it's not really dependent on the ambient humidity. I mean, high humidity can form superficial dew in the form of water condensation, but true "dew" is produced by the plant secreting mucus itself. Things like repotting, shipping, or change of conditions can make them loose dew. It should recover in about 2 weeks if kept in the stable, proper conditions.
True but less water lost to evaporative transpiration will allow for more mucus production during recovery periods.
By Fishman
Light also plays a major role in dew production and the overall health of the plant. I do not see any light for it in the pic. This is an issue. (Or did you perhaps move the plant to take its pic)?
By Wikiwakawakawee
boarderlib wrote:In my experience Capensis generally doesn't like excessive humidity. Mine have always done better in an ambient air environment, either household humidity or outside humidity.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
Same here, my capensis was doing fine on my windowsill, but when I put it inside my vivarium, it didn't look so great...still doesn't. :?
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!